Mrs The1 VX Berlina Wagon

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
The1

Re: Mrs The1 VX Berlina Wagon

Post by The1 »

yeh it's nasty stuff that paint stripper, i basted it on with a brush then stood back 10m with a high pressure hose, atleast cleanup isn't to bad it's just like jelly again when it comes off so can be scraped up and disposed of.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

v6bucket wrote:Spray on oven cleaner works Ok too.
it contains if i am not mistaken the same active chemical methylene chloride as in paint stripper, same a the good carpet cleaners too :thumbup:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Helical
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)

Post by Helical »

Oven cleaner has caustic in it which dissolves aluminium, which makes it a handy way to remove anodising, so should leave sparkling alloy parts.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Helical wrote:Oven cleaner has caustic in it which dissolves aluminium, which makes it a handy way to remove anodising, so should leave sparkling alloy parts.

caustic soda makes alloy go dark as it forms aluminum hydoxide which is blackish colour.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Helical
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)

Post by Helical »

I'll take your word for it. I probably shouldn't have used the word sparkling as it's a dull finish, meant clean rather than shiny.

Years ago I was looking to remove some blue anodising off some parts and was told to use oven cleaner to carefully strip it off, leave it on for too long and the ali dissolves. Worked really well, coated part, waited a bit, rinsed off repeat 3 or 4 times. Got back to plain aluminium colour then clear coated the parts to stop them corroding.
The1

Post by The1 »

inlet manifold and everything else is done and running good, pulled the lid of the plenum to have a look seeing i have disabled EGR, is still all clean after a couple of weeks use, the newer design with the extra passage for the PCV breather works well, no oil in the plenum. Havn't done another WOT run yet to see how it running.

Repco had 30% off the other day so picked up some new engine mounts for $100 as they looked a little sagy. Didn't see them as this bad though! bottom halfs just floating around. :shock:
Attachments
IMG_9028.jpg
IMG_9028.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

pretty common can normally tell when the sump starts getting close to cross member, or other tell tale is is lead foot start feel the thump!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

or with a manual you shift to 3rd and it goes to 5th as the motor drops back down!
The1

Post by The1 »

didn't really notice it, even WOT, only noticed it at idle being shakey, nice and smooth now. :D
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

yeah thats another tell tale with vibe, but even when using new cheaper mounts they can do that too, hence Mackay/Genuine are the best option!
they can be a bit of a bugger to remove some of the inner nuts & fit too!