CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

Juat scored a VT5L engine thats been in a fire for $200 .... complete with roller cam and reliefs in the block for a stroker crank!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Holden202T wrote:Juat scored a VT5L engine thats been in a fire for $200 .... complete with roller cam and reliefs in the block for a stroker crank!
Bargain
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Good score ! Now, what are going to do with it ? Lol
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the motor that's in the Bedford now will stay there for engineering/rego, and i'll work on a 355 bottom end using the VT block, once its ready i'll put the current motors heads on it and swap them over as the heads are reasonably well ported already.

i'll probably also put the other motor back together with the VT heads to have a spare runner.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

So this is the motor I got for $200 :) .... pretty sad and sorry looking on the outside.

Not much left of the tappet cover, injectors all melted and only really copper left from the wiring!!
20171129_205155.jpg
20171129_205207.jpg
20171129_205219.jpg
20171129_205232.jpg
20171129_205232.jpg (370.87 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
Got stuck in last night ripping it apart, once all the bolt ons were removed and the inlet manifold and tappet covers, other than being dirty oil inside it really doesn't look too bad ... its definitely done a few KMS, not really any hone marks left in the bore, bearings and crank journals all look alright though, sides of pistons all look brand new other than oil stain.
20171130_193945.jpg
20171130_193945.jpg (389.15 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
all in all, I really only "need" the block, and its in great condition for a rebuilder!

the garbo mans getting most all the bolt ons, i'm keeping all the brackets, they'll clean up with a wire wheel or sand blast and the heads and inlet should be serviceable also.

p.s. crusty old oil smell is the worst!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Have you ever noticed how much bolts stink when you remove them inside the engine?

I removed the spider on a v6 last week and hence the 4 small screws. They stunk so bad it was like I spilled a 44 gallon drum of gear oil in the shed. It stunk for about 3 days. I don't know what sort of chemical reactions go on with old oil trapped in the bolt holes but holy crap does is stink.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep the main cap bolts on this thing are close to spew territory!
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

WOW Holden202T,

I have just OD'ed on this thread (was looking for something else found this and as I am a Bedford fan I couldnt resist) Please tell me you are still building it? I was informed that a v8 bedford was not possible anymore so how are you going to reg it? Is your engineer still happy?

Where did you get your hub adaptors as I ask someone for a set and got told very unprofessionally to sod off.

Love the brake master etc, might look at it for mine... BUT you will probably shoot me but the XA/B 1" master does bolt to the original Bedford booster and is the most common upgrade... (runs and hids). Mine is missing both the master and teh booster so you conversion for me might be a great fix.

Little hint is that if you want power steering a VE rack is built for the Bedford. Cheap to get and can have speed sense ;) (it is the right width too.)

Crewman diff is what I have here as well, Just need to work oput how to convert it to daully... :(

Might has done plenty of burnouts in it time way before I owned it. I now dont want it doign burnout but tow duties.......

Seeing yours has pretty much made me decide not to manual mine. There is just not enough room for clutch pedal. I thought there might be if I shifted the column over and inch, but definately not.

So it look like I will be building a T700 for it now. Fixing the rust (so jealous of yours. I have to lift the roof on mine to get the rust in the windscreen support. Shouldn't be too bad seeing I have the workshop manual and all the sectional diagrams.

Have some nice wheels for the front of her, (17" Cragar SS) so should look the part when finished. Might post up my mirror conversion.... (Patrol mirrors removed stork drilled backing plate bolted to a bolt welded hand that is then integrated into the door. Looking to have electrics in the just need to work out how to run the wires.) so picture a hand holding the back of the mirror, the hand being made from bolts welded together like a skeleton and to rods from the door to look like the two arm bones. Took bloody 2 weekend to make one. Should look the good once finished.

Cheers
oldn64
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Well its been a few years since i discussed it with the engineer, but it was fine then!

The hub adaptors I made them myself, got the usual VT brake hub adaptors and got them machined to suit larger outer bearing and a step in the rear to suit the adaptor plate hole, and the adaptor plates i made from pictures of someone else that did it on the bedford forum.

Yeah it probably would have been easier to use the XA master, i wanted to keep it all the one braking system though, engineers like matched parts :) i did use the XA master in the gemini though!

i hadn't worried about power steer as i am struggling enough trying to fit the a/c pump in, but i'll keep it in mind if there is actually any room left! maybe i can use an electric power steer pump like project binky! at this point in time im just doing all the things i need to make it legal and get it going, things like power steer and electric windows will comes later .... maybe!

glad i could give you some inspiration, and to answer your question yes i still have it :) i plan to finish it once the FX is race ready!

dont suppose you have a spare towbar bracket you dont need ?? ;)
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Holden202T wrote:glad i could give you some inspiration, and to answer your question yes i still have it :) i plan to finish it once the FX is race ready!

dont suppose you have a spare towbar bracket you dont need ?? ;)
:thumbup: Was a long read but worth it hehe. Good to hear you will finish it. I was two bedford vans today. Both in reall nice nick. The FX will be a machine. A mate races his fx but technically the only fx part is the dash and outer body panels. nothing else left hold factory destined for a fx.

just need to finish my english wheel to be able to create the panels I need for the widnscreen panels for my bedford. Unfortunately neither my bedford or my spare chassis have towbar. I suspect even it they did it would be completely different to your van. (mine is cab chassis).

I have access to a couple of mate with bedfords so I will have a look see might be able to get you one. Failing that find a square hitch commodore towbar and adapt it to the bedford. I have a low link one from a VR SS which I will be putting on mine. Will not take too much.

Here is my Bedord in its former life...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zVoVXgXkU[/youtube]

Wont be doing that in a big hurry again.......

:punk:

Cheers
oldn64