CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by oldn64 »

Holden202T wrote:new set of seals and injector filters, fuel filter and some fresh fuel and shes alive and well. and now it runs on the stock tune and isn't lean anymore! :)
Sweet Holden202T,

Must have a nice exhaust note return as well. You did clean the tank didnt you? Oh and did you open the filter and have a look at it, what was its condition?

Cheers
oldn64
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah im happy with the exhaust note, 3 inch system with a BIIIGG muffler in the centre and then a hotdog on the end to take that last bit out of it, i feel its well under the 96dba i need it to be, but it has a nice deep v8 note!

i didn't touch the tank, but i did put a new filter on it, but the old one actually looked ok inside, so im not sure, unless it was crap that was already int the fuel rail or something.

was like $20 for seal and filter kits for the injectors so im not too stressed, when the time comes to actually register this thing i'll be getting The1 to re-service the injectors ..... but i also have a set of 42lb injectors ready i had planned to use them when i go 355.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Holden202T wrote:yeah im happy with the exhaust note, 3 inch system with a BIIIGG muffler in the centre and then a hotdog on the end to take that last bit out of it, i feel its well under the 96dba i need it to be, but it has a nice deep v8 note!

i didn't touch the tank, but i did put a new filter on it, but the old one actually looked ok inside, so im not sure, unless it was crap that was already int the fuel rail or something.

was like $20 for seal and filter kits for the injectors so im not too stressed, when the time comes to actually register this thing i'll be getting The1 to re-service the injectors ..... but i also have a set of 42lb injectors ready i had planned to use them when i go 355.
Errr hang on back the truck up....

What year did the v8 come from?? because as of 1996 (i think) it needs to be 92db. I know this because i had a huge arguement with my road guy over the VH SLE ADP as it was smack on 96db. It sounded great but yes 96db is loud! For a road car anyways. My VR SS was 90db and was not as nice to listen to (but then again every 3db is double in sound) so 90 compared to 96 sounds like whispering... LOL.

EPA came to my rescue with the VH and they finally passed the car as the 96 it was. Similar story with my VK Brock, it was 95db (my exhaust oval with hand build mufflers) and sounded amazing. Still was not as great as my VH but close.

The test needs to be done outside without walls and standing 3 meters away from the exhaust exit. The car then needs to be at 75% of the rev range. This is all documented in the regulations.

The scareyist thing is that at teh race track it is a 75db from 30 meters from the race surface. Alot of people freak out at this yet my race car is at 130db (at full noise) and yet does not go over the 75db @ 30m ruling. sound does drop off quick enough. (heck the VL has a megaphone on it.)

Just make sure which ruling yours needs to be. (It is why I have a 308 out of a HQ for my beddy :D)

Cheers
oldn64
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the motor is a VN so probably 89-91 ish ? i thought the db reading depended on the car it was going into ..... but its been a long time since i read the rules.

when i put an ecotec in the torana it had to be under 96dba (was 95.6 or something on 3 averages ;))

either way if it doesn't pass i'll make it quieter, its going to be for towing long distances with a load so i want it to be peaceful, especially considering i'll be getting in it after being in an un-muffled race car!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

NSW has pretty much adopted the National Code of Practice.
You'll find most of what you want here.
https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/ ... _ncop.aspx
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Holden202T wrote:the motor is a VN so probably 89-91 ish ? i thought the db reading depended on the car it was going into ..... but its been a long time since i read the rules.

when i put an ecotec in the torana it had to be under 96dba (was 95.6 or something on 3 averages ;))

either way if it doesn't pass i'll make it quieter, its going to be for towing long distances with a load so i want it to be peaceful, especially considering i'll be getting in it after being in an un-muffled race car!
The rule when I last read it was the motor. Ie if you placed a LS1 into a torana then the ls1 would need to be to the adr requirements of the ls1 not the torana. That is because the exhuast is that from the engine then the sound and the pollution need to comply with the engine. If however you had VN heads and manifold onto a HQ your would need to comply with the HQ or the car you put it in instead. This includes the cat etc. (hence why the 308 is sitting there. I also have a 253 from a VH there for the race motor (ie 253 crank super light pistons revs really quick (offset grind the crank and I can get 333 stroker. :D)

Hang on torana with a ecotec..... it wasnt a hatch was it??????

Yes I know what you mean with the unmuffled race car... the VL is flamign loud in the car and so is the VY... I like it that way, at least I cannot hear my passengers screaming :lol:

Cheers
oldn64
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

no it was a LH Sedan.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Holden202T wrote:no it was a LH Sedan.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9
Well that just made me cry.... good old FB :D

nice collection......what I would give to get some of mine back. oh well.

Back on the Bedford. Have you found a dust cover for the bearing upgrade int eh front end. I have looked for ages and cannot find a cover the right size. I am almost in the realm of making one from scratch

Regards
oldn64
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah they were a trailer one ..... eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151949442734 to suit below:

so i machined the centre out of the hub a few mm to fit a bearing that had the right ID to suit the bedford stub axle

Outer Wheel Bearing Set
Cone L44643 - Bore ID. 25.4mm - 1.00in
Cup L44610 - Cup OD. 50.292mm - 1.9800in
Width 14.224mm - .5600in
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Holden202T wrote:yeah they were a trailer one ..... eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151949442734 to suit below:

so i machined the centre out of the hub a few mm to fit a bearing that had the right ID to suit the bedford stub axle

Outer Wheel Bearing Set
Cone L44643 - Bore ID. 25.4mm - 1.00in
Cup L44610 - Cup OD. 50.292mm - 1.9800in
Width 14.224mm - .5600in
Hello Holden202T,

So your bearing is not the Ford inner bearing which most use? I have not got mine yet but the big issue has been the bearing cap. If yours works then I might go with your option instead. I have to use a HQ rotor or at least a HQ stud pattern to suit the wheels I have for her. (17" Crager SS's) shoudl come up awesome but need to do the rust removal before I get ahead of myself. Probably should do some more work on her to allow you to see what I am doing too. :D

cheers
oldn64