CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

yeah used the falcon bearing inner......

Inner Wheel Bearing Set - XA - XF Falcon
Cone L68149 - Bore ID. 34.987mm - 1.3775in
Cup L68110 - Cup OD. 59.131mm - 2.3280in

from memory the commodore hub has the right inner bearing OD for the falcon bearing and then that fits the bedford stub perfectly.....

the problem was there is no off the shelf bearing for the outer that will fit the hub and the stub. On the Bedford forums it seems people machine down the stub axle to suit the right bearing, i didn't want to do that as:

1. weakens the stub axle
2. machining a part that is not a consumable and not easy to find spares

so instead i found a bearing that was the same ID as the bedford stub outer bearing, but had 4mm bigger OD (i think) and i just got the hub machined 4mm to suit it..... and im pretty sure from patchy memory that the bearing i selected has like 200-300kg more load capacity than the stock bedford bearing set.

so in theory i just replace bearings and shouldn't have an issue, and the chances i need a new hub are pretty slim, and even if i do its not a lot of work to machine it to work.

im also assuming an engineer is going to be more happy with a machined hub (with still like 10mm meat around it) than machining the stub, and also a higher rated bearing has to be better too.

If you do need any info i have a lot of bearing numbers and specs as well as the timken cattledogs to go along with them, i wasted a lot of time looking through bearings to find my solution!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

That sounds like a much better solution, I doubt an engineer would be happy with the stub shaft been ground down.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

memory is vague, but im sure i saw old instructions from a name brand supplier that to fit hq brakes that was the way to do it...

i cant recall 100% so i dont want to put any names in there but it did seem not cool to me so i looked for the non-stub modification option.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

You are correct Holden202T,

machining the hub is bad practise. It is actually illegal and will void your insurance and no pass engineering anyways. Very common practise by a well known shop to do this whihc meant that the stub was weakened and the re were failures.

The HQ disc uses the same bearings as the commodore one and thus it is the same same. Infact all Holden rotors used the same bearings HR - VP. Little know fact is that the sigmas ran the same bearings as well (meaning commodore rotors onto a sigma was easy to achieve.....dont ask)

From my sketchy memory when i was looking into this you use a falcon inner bearing as the outer bearing but this meant once you machined the disc or hub for the bearing there was no commonly available bearing cap to go with it. This solution looks the goods as I really do not want to have something on the back of the bedford (towing) and have the front fall apart. I am tempted to upgrade the stubs to the dual rear ones as they are thicker but on the calcs the current ones will do the job asked and the bigger stubs do not have an option for better brakes. Bedford drums are just crap. I would consider using the transit setup as they got the better lockheed setup in them.

Cheers
oldn64
Batvan

Post by Batvan »

Newbie to the forum... Own an 81cf and currently working on mounting a vs statesman motor an box... Done the HQ disc brake update, just need to make adapter plates to fit vt callipers... Great forum here by the looks... Need to invest some time in reading it all.... Soo much to do an no time to get it done
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Batvan wrote:Newbie to the forum... Own an 81cf and currently working on mounting a vs statesman motor an box... Done the HQ disc brake update, just need to make adapter plates to fit vt callipers... Great forum here by the looks... Need to invest some time in reading it all.... Soo much to do an no time to get it done
Um....... So dis you use the HQ stud axles or machine the rotor?

The big No No with your conversion though is that the VT caliper does not match the HQ rotor. What this means is that you have one thing to overcome and one thing you cannot overcome. Firstly the offset of the disc is different between the vt caliper and the HQ caliper, so your mounting point will need to accommodate this. The thing you cannot overcome is that a vt rotor is 25mm minimum thickness and the HQ is 24.5mm this means that there is a high chance that when the pad wears out the pistons will fall out. The VT caliper was design with a 28mm rotor in mind. I have seen the piston drop out of guys that have just put the VT caliper on early girls, and I am not sure there would be an engineer that would pass that.

You would be far better off using the HQ caliper instead and getting a better pad material. :thumbup:

cheers
oldn64