my ride vt ecotec

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
vt3.8lt
cars: Vt v6 turbo @ 8psi

Re: my ride vt ecotec

Post by vt3.8lt »

well i drilled the flywheel out to 10mm and the dowels fit nice then coming to drilling the flywheel i fucked it up :wall: using the same drill bit on the flywheel witch made a nice snug fit just munched out the flywheel holes and the crank and the dowels didnt fit snug anymore as i drilled through the flywheel to get the position of the dowls so now its just i hope it all stays together if not ill just pull the engine down and get a billet crank i guess

on the note of billet cranks one thing thats had me perplexed is can a crank from a buick fit into a ecotec as the buic cranks out of the states are about half the price or less of an ecotec one here? just curious
The answer is always... boost!
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

vt3.8lt wrote:well i drilled the flywheel out to 10mm and the dowels fit nice then coming to drilling the flywheel i fucked it up :wall: using the same drill bit on the flywheel witch made a nice snug fit just munched out the flywheel holes and the crank and the dowels didnt fit snug anymore as i drilled through the flywheel to get the position of the dowls so now its just i hope it all stays together if not ill just pull the engine down and get a billet crank i guess

on the note of billet cranks one thing thats had me perplexed is can a crank from a buick fit into a ecotec as the buic cranks out of the states are about half the price or less of an ecotec one here? just curious
They won't stay put if they're not snug fit. Best go over sized again. Surprised you weren't drilling through the flywheel to the crank so everything had continuity
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I wouldn't have even attempted without the flywheel mounted. In fact I would of hired or borrowed (if you dont have one like me) a magnetic drill press and mounted that to the flywheel face for perfect milling of the holes.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

krusty wrote:
vt3.8lt wrote:well i drilled the flywheel out to 10mm and the dowels fit nice then coming to drilling the flywheel i fucked it up :wall: using the same drill bit on the flywheel witch made a nice snug fit just munched out the flywheel holes and the crank and the dowels didnt fit snug anymore as i drilled through the flywheel to get the position of the dowls so now its just i hope it all stays together if not ill just pull the engine down and get a billet crank i guess

They won't stay put if they're not snug fit. Best go over sized again. Surprised you weren't drilling through the flywheel to the crank so everything had continuity
No, those cranks are vn series 1 style with rope seal. You have to look for billet 3800 II cranks which I haven't seen listed anywhere in the states but I know they exist as several people there use them and all aussie sellers have their own ones made over there, COME racing and SicSix are both US made cranks
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vt3.8lt

Post by vt3.8lt »

Yeah i was drilling through the flywheel and it just didnt work next time im gonna hire one of those magnetic lresses but for now im just gonna see how it goes and if it holds it holds but if i sheers the flywheel off its engine out and new crank

Ok cool thats what i thought thwy look similar in the photos but just dont look exactly the same i think when the time comes ill call sicsixes back and speak to him about one of his stock stroke or stroker cranks as his were the cheapest ive come by so far
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Also, if your planning on doweling something, say it's a 10mm do well you should drill out to a (whatever you have that's close) say a 9.8 mm and then Finnish off with a 10mm ream. And as Vlad says a mag base drill or equivalent at a minimum. We are talking about precise engineering here, something you won't get with a hand held drill, no offence
vt3.8lt

Post by vt3.8lt »

yeah man i drilled the flywheel out at work in the drill press and it went fine i was using a 10mm bit that measured 9.8mm and worked fine in the drill press obviously it is more precise and stable i didnt even think about a mag drill press or anything at the time now its more obvious but at least now ive learnt that lesson i figured going through the flywheel would hold it stable enough but if it holds it holds if not ill get a new crank either billet or another stoker its just a pain having to dismantle everything and re bearing and ring it etc
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I wouldn't bother with a stroker on an ecotec. Sure, you'll get more bottom end (like there isn't enough already) but you sacrifice bigger HP potential due to excessive piston speed , large capacity to head flow ratio and also worsen the side loading of the pistons from an already not great rod ratio.

I seeing a lot of great success with de-stroking them to 2.8" giving 3.3L and 9K rpm potential and huge HP figures.
vt3.8lt

Post by vt3.8lt »

Yeah i was wondering what the rod ratio would be like with a stroker crank in one obviously the de stroking with high rpm and hp would be awesome but id also like to see how far the stock stroke can be pushed too im curious to see how far this stock crank can be pushed especially now with its botched af flywheel dowels i was looking into mag drills today definitely going to invest in one in the future
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

HQ355 wrote:We are talking about precise engineering here, something you won't get with a hand held drill, no offence
Depends on the skill of the operator I reckon.
The precision is more in the mounting of the flywheel to crank. Making sure the flywheel is bolted to the crank in the correct location using all 8 bolts & torqued down. The Transfer pin punch set is needed to get the pilot hole precise.
The reason I use a 5/16" drill bit for the 8mm dowels is to get the size for size press fit of the dowel into the crank. Following up with the 8mm drill bit through the flywheel only is to give the snug fit for flywheel over the dowels. Occasionly the fit is so snug a bit of fitting is required using emory cloth, but that's fine as the purpose is to stop the flywheel having any rotational movement when bolts are out.

Just my 2c.