Tinkers Rides rb30 to delco

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Re: Tinkers Rides rb30 to delco

Post by charlay86 »

Are you doing the 3x/18x v6 trigger?
if so it needs to look like the image attached.
Attachments
V6crank'.PNG
V6crank'.PNG (22.71 KiB) Viewed 4510 times
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

charlay86 wrote:Are you doing the 3x/18x v6 trigger?
if so it needs to look like the image attached.

Yes mate I am trying believe me .........
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I know its not what you want to hear but that nissan trigger system is terrible. We managed to use one with a delco, but it was very long work to get it working. We tried so many electrical things, only to end up finding _all_ of the trigger boards (which was more than 3, maybe 5) we got from the wreckers were all failed. And not dead failed, but glitching similar to yours. From this we assume that so many nissans with this system end up at the wreckers from problems similar to what you are seeing and bad cas hardware. We bought a new one, and did get it working, but from over a year burnt thinking our problems were elsewhere I would say ditch this trigger system and try anything else. I am burnt by this nissan optical trigger more than anything else I have attempted to do with a car. Maybe your trigger is good, but its likely the system is built with very small tolerances in its analog design from OEM your probably doing everything right and it just cant handle the commodore pattern. I would love you to prove me wrong but that is my experience. The balancer trigger wheel will work well and you'll get it running quickly and easily. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=128#p1022 viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3020#p32005
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

OK So after looking all over the net for someone else that has had success with the nissan cas i have had no luck. I swaped the 18x back to the outer ring and rejigged the 3x starting point. I seem to have less garbage spikes like this .Picture below showing (red circle) how the Pulse width of the 18x is altering with a constant speed .This changes throughout the sample.....
Screenshot (10).png
The circuit i have used to join the RB CAS and the delco ignition module seems to work but i am not 100% if my problems are in my circuit or elsewhere.....
There is no point me playing around with the 3x signal if the 18x is not stable.
Screenshot (11).png

I am not giving up yet .... Any help would be appreciate...
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I know its hard to walk away from a challenge like this just on someones word, but i'd suggest throwing the nissan PCB In the bin and building your own interface that connects straight to the leds and pickup.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Also note that nissans circuit from memory is 8v with a pull up resistor external. Its been 10ish years...Try turning the volts up a couple.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

antus wrote: I am burnt by this nissan optical trigger more than anything else I have attempted to do with a car.
Mate I hear you!!!!. I dont have funds for the car i want at the moment so this is something I can do, time to burn..
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Ive been back to my notes to see if I can find anything useful, all I have is this of one of the failing modules. It looks like the noise is higher frequency than you are seeing, maybe I am just that burnt from this system. Stock car, VL400 prototype module, stock pattern.
Attachments
cranking 2.png
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Is the optical pickup infrared or visible light?
In any case you might actually need to paint the paper disc matte black to improve your noise margin. Many materials that look opaque to us may still transmit enough light to make the system borderline.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah, heaps of things are translucent/transparent to IR, for eg, biological materials and even things like silicon which in visible is opaque in most cases.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.