Tinkers Rides rb30 to delco

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: Tinkers Rides rb30 to delco

Post by Holden202T »

im a bit confused, 12v out of the coil pack ? is that the supply for the CAS normally ?

maybe even power the uno from USB or a seperate supply ? then just a ground from it to the coil pack ?

i havent done alot with this sort of stuff but i have make 36-1 + cam and 60-2 + cam using arduino nano..... all i did was feed a pin straight from the arduino into the ECU crank and cam inputs ...

i guess the other thing is, is the uno fully dead, ie. you fried it from over power etc, or is it still working just the output pins are dead ?

that might give you a lead on what caused the issue, like if you power it up, get a multimeter and have a probe around, is there power out the regulator or a diode etc on the feed in line where it stops ?
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Hi mate , from what i have tested battery voltage into ign mod will output same voltage to CAS.

Yes you can go pin B3 and B5 with 5volt square wave out of the UNO . but i want to get ignition (coil pack) working on the bench for a future project.

Yes ONE dead UNO ..... I have a spare :-) .... dont like killing things like this would rather know what i was doing ...I am only a back yard hack at electronics.

Have not tried to fix the UNO .... maybe later ...have you seen how small the shit is on UNO board? .... LOL

Someone out there must of does this before ?? I will keep on searching .. waiting on some parts from jaycar ...
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

A lot just make a trigger disk and run it in a drill to vary rpm vl400 did to test his code also means you can use a timing light and check timing shift
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

I may have missed something here, but your rb30 has a dizzy? You can just condition the output for the 808 and it'll run just fine. Unless you must have coil packs?

Seems like bench testing it with an arduino may be barking up the wrong tree as delcowizzid says. You'll be designing and debugging a system just for benching when it would be better off setting up the dizzy to output the right signal to the delco then maybe chucking that up in a drill or something for testing.

As for the arduino failing - Inductive circuits make a hell of a lot of electrical noise. Your circuit is sound and the failure is likely from your 12v shooting up to 36+ volts as the coil fires. If there is no spark plug or load on the output of the coil, the energy needs to go somewhere and if it can't make the spark gap, it'll pump back through the primary. In a car you've got an extremely low impedance battery that'll suck it all back up, on your bench, the arudino took the hit.

The fix? don't use a coil on the bench - pop a 5watt 30ohm resistor in its place and add an led and resistor to it so you can see it firing when it does. Your arduino will thank you. The Delco won't know the difference, you'll be able to bench it all.

If you must use the ignition coil you'll want to run the arduino on a separate supply. You can share grounds for the sake of not needing opto couplers but opto's would be better. Or you can add clamping diodes (zener diodes) to help absorb some of that back emf.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Thanks for the reply’s blokes couple of good ideas there I will take on board what you have said.

My aim with getting the coil pack to work was so I could test my dizzy interrupter wheel, but a load resistor in the coils place might be the answer.

cheers
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

So this is what I'm up to. got to say I love this shit when it all works LOL....Sorry about the commentary.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GCXCAq ... sp=sharing
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Nice job
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah nice :)
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Nice work.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

:thumbup: