Torana SS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: Torana SS

Post by VK_3800 »

The fuel, temp and oil pressure gauges started playing up recently, mostly not working at all but occasionally coming back to life. I had a standard instrument cluster on the shelf so I thought I'd steal the voltage regulator from that - turns out that puts out a steady 9V (should be 5V). Testing the original shows it to be in even worse condition.

So that generally means converting to a solid state regulator, but where to get one at short notice on a weekend? Then I had a thought.

Sure enough, pulled it apart and there's a neat little board containing the regulator portion only, separate to the socket mount and silly LED. It even fits in the original housing!

As expected the gauges are a little slower to rise but everything seems to work fine. According to the label this tiny thing is good for 3.1A so should be plenty for the instruments.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

VK_3800 wrote:The fuel, temp and oil pressure gauges started playing up recently, mostly not working at all but occasionally coming back to life. I had a standard instrument cluster on the shelf so I thought I'd steal the voltage regulator from that - turns out that puts out a steady 9V (should be 5V). Testing the original shows it to be in even worse condition.

So that generally means converting to a solid state regulator, but where to get one at short notice on a weekend? Then I had a thought.

Sure enough, pulled it apart and there's a neat little board containing the regulator portion only, separate to the socket mount and silly LED. It even fits in the original housing!

As expected the gauges are a little slower to rise but everything seems to work fine. According to the label this tiny thing is good for 3.1A so should be plenty for the instruments.
Are you aware that an account on v8comp.co.nz is required to see the images you are posting links to??

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I can see the images and I'm fairly sure I'm not subscribed to the aforementioned site.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

There's no authentication on that server.

What message are you seeing, maybe something about the SSL certificate?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

All I see is the word "Image" where there should be an image ...

I personally do not care, my concern is for others, if others can see them, so be it!

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I can see all the images.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Gampy wrote:All I see is the word "Image" where there should be an image ...

I personally do not care, my concern is for others, if others can see them, so be it!

-Enjoy
Good looking out Gampy,
I can see on my stuff here from Californication on my winXP, win7(super protected), and win10. Not that it matters a bunch, but am curious if you figure out the why.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

I would be curious too, especially if it's something I can change on the web host end. Someone on the Torana forum says the same thing.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Sorry, I doubt I'll find out ...

My desktops are like me, old and rapidly declining, I have replacements, just need to do the software, I just don't have the energy to deal with em.

Facts are, I should have better investigated before popping off my mouth about broken offsite images ... But then that just wouldn't be me!

-Enjoy

VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Found an old V8 distributor, set it up in the lathe and gave it a haircut.

Add a chunk of steel.

And an aluminium cap.