Torana SS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: Torana SS

Post by VK_3800 »

Here is a copy of the latest bin for anyone who is interested, still has a couple of lean spots and working on fine tuning the AE but almost have the hot running sorted. Still have to make some tweaks for colder temps then enable DE, DFCO, lean cruise, closed loop and make sure all that's good.

Not too keen on driving around with the laptop open on the passenger seat so have been logging with ALDLDroid (mounted a cheap 7" tablet on the dash, it works great) but XDL logs don't seem to be any good so don't have any of those as yet.
Attachments
Torana.bin
OSE12P_v112
(32 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

You should be able to log with the laptop closed... look at the power management settings, and set "when I close the laptop lid..." from its default "standby" to "do nothing". Wording might be slightly different but its along those lines.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Yeah I turned all the usual settings off (its not supposed to do anything but turn the screen off when I close the lid) and it was still logging but with big gaps of data missing at regular intervals. Tried it with the lid open and works properly, seems the like the drive is spinning down after a period (it works for a while) or something like that. No doubt there's a setting buried in there somewhere but I'd prefer to get ALDLDroid sorted anyway, its a lot more convenient with the small tablet. Have it hooked up via a subversion repository so its only a button press at either end to grab the latest files.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Typical problems with laptop are the power settings and how long before they start going to sleep and shutting down screen and hard disks. Can also have problems with g-sensors in hard disks (the old spinny type, not newer SSD's) going into protection mode and parking themselves. A couple of bumps or laptop bouncing on a seat can do it fairly easily.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Time for some new rear tyres, went with Falken FK453. They seem OK so far, definitely a little better in the wet (for obvious reasons!)

Also finally got around to building a cold air box. I decided that I didn't want the air cleaner stud supporting everything, so made up some replacement nuts for the throttle body studs which incorporate mounting for the air box

Glued together this birdbath-looking thing out of sheet metal and it just screws on to the four nuts/posts

Tidy up and add a length of old Commodore boot seal (it has pinch weld built into it for easy mounting), doesn't look too out of place. Didn't really hide any of the injection stuff after all that but I didn't want it too big.

The manifold air temp drops pretty fast now when the throttle is opened so it seems to have made some difference.
Last edited by VK_3800 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Have been working away at the tune and its still slowly getting better. Every time I think about posting a log I end up changing something so the log is out of date! The hardest part seems to be getting the AE right for light throttle cruising (it would be great if 12P had some more RPM resolution between 1200 and 2000), I'm seeing similar RPM/load points under different conditions and getting different results. Pretty happy with it all round though, fuel economy will be put to the test next week.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

That air intake has come up nicely :thumbup: Hides the EFI setup even more for that stealth look too.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

The standard carb style lever on the throttle body worked OK but occasionally made it difficult to get smooth throttle application at low openings, the angle of the lever giving a fairly fast opening rate and more control in the middle of the travel. I've been meaning to make a pulley/cam type lever for linear application like a standard EFI throttle body, upon looking at a VN one I noticed its not actually linear at all - its the opposite, with progressive ratio giving more fine control at opening and faster movement near full throttle. There's around 10mm difference in lever length from start to finish. So, I chopped up an old VN piece and fitted that:

Was a little weird to drive initially but achieved exactly what I was looking for, now have more fine control at small throttle openings which makes it easier to cruise around smoothly at low rpm.
Last edited by VK_3800 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

nice work :D

certainly makes for an un-pleasant car with it how it was, i've driven one like it before!
MrWillys
cars: 1955 Willys CJ5 L98 350
2001 Ford F150
2004 Corvette 6 spd

Post by MrWillys »

Great work, great thread and a nice ride.