Torana SS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: Torana SS

Post by VK_3800 »

All those big fittings in this radiator came with o-ring seals. They would have worked fine to begin with but without any proper locating grooves I was a bit suspect of their long-term resilience especially with the heat. I was tempted to just crank up the fittings with a bit of sealant but decided I could make some aluminium crush washers which would be even better.
Used aviation sealant too, can't hurt and I have no plans to change the fittings around.

After all those tweaks I thought I'd better make sure it doesn't leak before installing. Only one leak - the test bung!

Oh, and I fixed the colour.

As usual everything is tight, but it fits.

I still need to make a new cover for the top (mainly because it will cover up the cracked paint on the radiator support) but otherwise mobile again.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Is that a vacuum pump I see in the pic?
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

No vacuum pump. I have a custom serpentine belt setup with power steering, or that thing sitting in front of the alternator is just a plastic catch can/filter.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Ah catch can. It looked like a small vacuum pump.
Deuce
cars: TUF355

Post by Deuce »

Great build VK_
I have just read the whole thing, and I like what you did with the injectors (I did the hacksaw thing for mine.)
So much awesome and creative, skillful touches all through it.
vlad01 wrote:I find the plastic on the heater taps, particularly the valve itself rots over time but mainly depends on the quality of the coolant. I've had good success with the Penrite 50/50 green stuff but also really good success with inhibitor only Tectalloy stuff. Cheap no name coolants eat plastic like no tomorrow and dislodge sludge and gunk from the block and makes the coolant go sludgy and brown in no time. It's like the cheap stuff is acidic or something?

Never had issues with metal rotting unless the car already had water only from previous owner/s.
Vlad,
I thought penrite only offered concentrate (100%) and pre-mix (33%).
What is the 50/50 stuff?
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Just caught up on this thread. Great work and very motivational
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Deuce wrote:Great build VK_
I have just read the whole thing, and I like what you did with the injectors (I did the hacksaw thing for mine.)
So much awesome and creative, skillful touches all through it.
vlad01 wrote:I find the plastic on the heater taps, particularly the valve itself rots over time but mainly depends on the quality of the coolant. I've had good success with the Penrite 50/50 green stuff but also really good success with inhibitor only Tectalloy stuff. Cheap no name coolants eat plastic like no tomorrow and dislodge sludge and gunk from the block and makes the coolant go sludgy and brown in no time. It's like the cheap stuff is acidic or something?

Never had issues with metal rotting unless the car already had water only from previous owner/s.
Vlad,
I thought penrite only offered concentrate (100%) and pre-mix (33%).
What is the 50/50 stuff?

I meant diluting the concentrate to 50/50 as stated by the manual (also mentioned on the Penrite label).
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Deuce
cars: TUF355

Post by Deuce »

vlad01 wrote: I meant diluting the concentrate to 50/50 as stated by the manual (also mentioned on the Penrite label).
Oh sweet. Yeah that makes sense. :thumbup:
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

The radiator support really needs stripping and re-painting.

We'll cover that up.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Needed a slightly bigger expansion tank to go with the new radiator and a friend gave me a piece of stainless sheet so I just had to dig up some material to turn a filler neck.

Still takes the original style cap but is not a horrible shade of yellow plastic. Welding could be prettier but it doesn't leak.