Torana SS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: Torana SS

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i've done very similar to a 202 tappet cover, but i did actually get them welded, it works ok, but you have sorted it anyways :)

only thing i would recommend, if you have not put them on yet, drill a couple of small holes where the V is in the baffle so it can drain from the centre areas if any oil does manage to get up there, obviously you'd want to poisition the holes in between rockers so as to stop oil from spraying into them.

I made mine with the ends bent up to touch the top and then the sides just flat.
P1090095.jpg
P1090095.jpg (110.83 KiB) Viewed 9803 times
hassn't rattled loose ever since!
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Thanks, I have put them back on but might take them off and see how it looks at some stage.

I made sure they will drain fine when sitting due to the engine angle as the back edge doesn't have a lip, I'm relying on distance and angle of entry to stop the splash. If it manages to get oil up there while running it may need something extra to stop it building up before the next engine stop though.

Its a shame they don't have a proper baffle built in to begin with, I guess it would have made them too pricey. I've only been using them for 10-11 years waiting to get around to it!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

hahaha yeah its like the only negative to the product hey!
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Some of our rules regarding vehicle requirements apply to the date of manufacture, others to the date of first registration in this country. Because this car was imported and first registered here at a later date, that means it legally requires a high stop light and won't pass an inspection without one.

The standard style window mounted lights are huge and really obstruct vision out the back. The one that came with the car departed quickly, replaced by a 'slim' LED one, but still quite large on the window and annoyed me. I finally got around to plan B, made a small housing flush mounted in the spoiler with a bright red LED strip inside it (its completely white/clear when not going).

Also made a spring-loaded contact for the power supply at the left hand rear corner, uses the same spot as the compartment light switch on the right side but instead of earthing it has an insulated power wire pass through it to a contact on the lid. No more wires hanging out.
Last edited by VK_3800 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

Nice work look good
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah nice one!
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Installed a dual flow adjustable PCV valve, allows the idle flow to be reduced compared to normal cruising and offers adjustment for different manifold vacuum. Very pricey but it works well. Before I had to have idle spark advance at 16 degrees and the throttle almost completely closed (even then it would idle slightly fast when quite hot when the IAC would close completely). Installing this allowed me to add 4 degrees of timing and crack the throttle slightly, with a few IAC steps to spare (I think/hope).

Last edited by VK_3800 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Very nice! looks very neat too.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Made an SS horn cap to replace the Momo one

Got all the major stuff re-certified, about the only change was an extra bracket on the steering rack mount. They generally like them to be mounted in double shear even though the factory didn't do it, this gave an extra redundancy in lieu of that. Before welding, the piece on top is now welded to the mounting adapter and the piece underneath to the cross member to provide a decent chunk for threading into.

When I did the EFI conversion I put a tap on the heater hoses under the bonnet, especially with the new core there is too much heat soak otherwise and the standard air flap can't control that. Finally got around to actually hooking the tap up to the controls, it just piggy-backs onto the air flap cable.
Last edited by VK_3800 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edenfield
cars: Plymouth

Post by Edenfield »

VK_3800 wrote:Hi all

As you can probably guess from my username I joined this forum when I was building a VK Commodore with V6 conversion. The VK is now long gone but it sowed the seed for a slightly different review of Vigrx Plus EFI V8 conversion in my Torana, with the wealth of info on here and using OSE 12P.

Nice ride.
Last edited by Edenfield on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.