FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Gareth

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Gareth »

I wouldn't stress too much about ride height adjustment until its back on the scales.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Sorry Gareth, I beg to differ ...

You want ride height at scaling, therefore ride height comes before scaling.
And during scaling you do not change the ride heights!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if the spring rate is too hard for the weight of the car it will not compress enough to allow it to be adjustable .... at this point in time i dont know if the spring is too still or too long ... there is a table that tells you what spring you need depending on the front axle weight .... thats the first thing i need to find out .... given the fact that my engine is so far back and i also have an alloy head etc it may well be i need a lighter front spring ... but i dont know for sure yet.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

That's right, spring rate selection has to do solely with weight, not ride height!

Spring rate does affect height, but it's not used to adjust height, you pick spring rates according to vehicle weight (and tuning preference) and adjust ride height with either spring height or spring perch height.

The table is in my head!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Like I said, wait for the scales!!!
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Ok, I think I know where the confusion is ... The current springs were purchased without the car ever being on scales ??

I'm sorry, that's my misunderstanding, I assumed the weights were already known and springs were purchased accordingly ...

I guess that's what I get for thinking!

[edit]
This is why I jumped in ...
Holden202T wrote:I cant really get it to sit low enough at the front (its about 1/2 to 1inch too high), so i may need a softer set of springs

Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yes thats correct Gampy, its just what they provided me in the kit, having said that i also need to add the front doors to the car, who knows it might be enough to get it down a few mm to be right!

the springs in it now are 350lb, the only other option is 250lb ....

also the current setup is at the bottom of the adjustment, the kit is supposed to go from stock height to 1inch lower, at this point in time its not much at all below stock (keep in mind i lowered the chassis on the crossmember)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Holden202T wrote:yes thats correct Gampy, its just what they provided me in the kit, having said that i also need to add the front doors to the car, who knows it might be enough to get it down a few mm to be right!

the springs in it now are 350lb, the only other option is 250lb ....

also the current setup is at the bottom of the adjustment, the kit is supposed to go from stock height to 1inch lower, at this point in time its not much at all below stock (keep in mind i lowered the chassis on the crossmember)
What are the free spring heights, what's the id of them ... You should be able to find springs in a wide variety of rates unless they are some off the wall spring not in a standard size.

If not, that is a problem ... You'll likely want to run the softest spring you can without any coil binding, and stops to prevent the shocks from bottoming out.

I have dozens of 1-7/8" by 10" mostly in 10# increments, you're more then welcome to borrow ...And I would very much enjoy hand delivering them!

The problem would likely be getting rid of me ... ;)

Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the suppliers website has a chart that basically says:

spring rate 250 - under 1200lbs front axle weight
spring rate 350 - 1200 - 1500lbs front axle weight (this is what i have)
spring rate 450 - 1600 - 2000lbs front axle weight

and their listing shows:

250 - coil spring 250lb front xtreme light
350 - coil spring 350lb front drag
450 - coil spring 450lb front handling

so it really is a matter of where i sit in that range ....

the standard car is 1013kg tare weight i have added some i have removed some, so i would expect to be in the 1100-1200kg range (including driver)

if i did mange to get 50/50 weight balance and assuming 1100kg/2425lbs - thats 550kg/1212lbs which means i would be right on the border line of the two spring options ... so it really is going to come down to how much total weight i have removed and how much i have put in the rear ....

and my memory is hazy but i have a feeling the rear springs are about 220/250lbs. (what the supplier recommended for the rears - different supplier to the fronts)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Holden202T wrote:(what the supplier recommended for the rears - different supplier to the fronts)
That is painful to hear ...

I'm just way way to passionate about this shit!