FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
In-Tech

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by In-Tech »

Awesomeness, funny how we all are. I couldn't have left the dyno with a 399, I would have kilt it till I made 400 :lol:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Funny you say that In-Tech, that was my thoughts, I just didn't want to be the first to say so ...

It would have gone home in a box otherwise!
Yup, been there done that. :(
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Gampy wrote:Funny you say that In-Tech, that was my thoughts, I just didn't want to be the first to say so ...

It would have gone home in a box otherwise!
Yup, been there done that. :(
Yepper, ther'e always a mop at the dyno shop :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ok so i think i can explain the dip in the power on the 399hp run, originally i thought the fuel was dipping rich because of that, but closer inspection shows the fuel went rich before the dip in the RPM's and the fact it went to 3.9 AFR (0.60 lambda) which i reckon caused the flutter i heard at that point, probably because it was almost flooded, and then before i could back out of the throttle it came back on song and i kept into it till shift light.

i also reckon having that much fuel in there probably half burnt meant it was burning in the exhaust and spooling the turbo up even more, hence the boost spike ....

so on the boost controller side of things, i have the answer there...... what happened was it was boosting to 22psi on initial throttle application (before the ramp run) so i thought maybe the flex table at 0% needed to be inverted, so i put 100% in the entire thing, this didn't make a difference, so i ended up just removing the boost controller ......

turns out i had mixed up the boost controller and second fuel pump flex tables, so when i hit 105kpa and revs got over 4000rpm the second fuel pump was supposed to come on, but instead it made the boost controller go 100% duty cycle which explains what i was seeing!

on the up side, me filling the table with 100% also meant that the second fuel pump was on all the time, so i didn't tune it on one pump, but more importantly i think over about 330-340hp is when i need the second pump so i didn't torch the motor!

so i am a bit annoyed that i wasted time on the dyno with all this and wasn't able to dial the boost table in a bit, i am also happy that everything makes sense and i know where its at!

im not sure when but i have a score to settle on the dyno so i will return and send it on 20-25psi maybe later on in the year - as for 399 ... i know there's more on the table and i will push this combo to 30psi if i need to :P

im also happy to go to Gunnedah now and can work on slowly ramping up the boost table.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Since completing the dyno and then racing events getting cancelled, dad and i have been working on body prep....

welded up the holes i cut in the roof to weld the tops of the roll cage, then lots of little bits and pieces on the roof needed panel beating or just light skims of bog to get them perfect.
1.jpg
So this below is the dash of the car before we did anything to it. The plan was to weld up the radio and ciggie lighter holes and to modify the speaker / ash tray section to be more purposeful.
2.jpg
So we cut the speaker out, and cut the left hand side of the ash tray hole out and moved it over to the left hand side of the speaker section, then glued it all back together.

we then fabed up a little panel to go in the new hole, complete with 2 x gauge holes a switch hole for my electric air vent actuator and theres some space below it for the odd switch or light i have in mind.

dad also found on gumtree the radio blank off panel for $15!! fucking bargain!
3.jpg
3.jpg (158.7 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
Finished welding it up, ground it back and applied some bog and its almost like it never happened :)
4.jpg
4.jpg (122.54 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
So i have been avoiding this job for a long time, finally i got to the point where i had to do it, so ground all the tops off the tunnel/firewall and then hit it all with rust converter and steal wool.
5.jpg
5.jpg (341.48 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
6.jpg
Got just over half of it primed, but need to move the car around to get into the passenger side door to finish it .... certainly a good phycological achievement getting it that far, especially in the 30 + degrees heat we had last weekend!
7.jpg
I have booked in for 19/20th March event in gunnedah (crossing everything it doesnt get cancelled) and the hope is to have at least the main body and interior all painted, then it will just leave hanging panels to go.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Getting there but it looks like a lot to go. Does to me but I'm old and slow. I'tll be good to see a time sheet.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Coming along nicely.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yes a lot to go, but it can be raced as it sits (obviously once i put the removed parts back in) so at least i can race in between parts being painted :)
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

The dash came up great. It’s handy being able to race and then paint in between. Good luck at Gunnedah
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

thanks! at this stage no racing in between yet but hopefully soon!!