vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by vlad01 »

Can't wait to hear it go down the track and be on song.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Sooo we finally get to some painting!

floors and roll cage all rust converted and etch primed.
1.JPG
Laying on the primer filler, inside, floor, dash, roll cage etc, and external panels on the main body of the car.
2.JPG
3.JPG
I have to attach the ANDRA chassis ID to the roll cage somewhere, so wanted to have it match the curvature of the roll bar, so i made a little tool to achieve that!
4.JPG
almost forgot to put it on before applying the top coat! so cleared a section of paint and zapped her on.
5.JPG
5.JPG (184.11 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Covered it with masking tape while painting, and will give it a coat of clear to seal it from rust.
6.JPG
Roll cage all painted, will be covering it with newspaper and masking it all up to then paint the floor etc a different colour, then dash to paint and then we'll be close putting some blue on the body!! :punk:
7.JPG
I decided the dash would be best to use paint stripper instead of wire wheel as it was alloy and has lots of fiddly bits .... this was after the first coat of paint stripper
8.JPG
8.JPG (520.48 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
3 coats later shes all ready for some primer!! i was tempted to polish it but it seemed like alot of work, and would most likely cause me glare when racing knowing my luck!
9.JPG
9.JPG (339.3 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Hopefully in the weeks to come there will be some more progress pics!! i think realistically i have 6 weeks to get the painting done before the car has to start getting put back together for racing so hopefully can achieve what i want in that time!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Nice work.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Wow really starting to look the part.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah looks excellent! Well done!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Flowed that black out nicely ... Looks awesome!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

That dash panel is a cool looking piece. Great work as usual.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Well its been an interesting week ... found out that Claire was a moderate risk contact at daycare for COVID .... since then theres been like 15 cases at daycare .....

Thankfully it seems Claire just had a small dose and was pretty good after a few days .... the wife and i however have been down and out for most of the week since sunday ....

So prior to the COVID outbreak, we managed to get the dash painted, acrylic base coat with 2 pak clear ... initially we were going to use an acrylic clear dad had just cause its easier but after applying some of it to the dash cluster it sorta went a bit funny .... thankfully putting the 2 pack clear over the top brought it back to an ok finish!

So then we used 2 pack on the rest of the dash in the car .... its probably way too good for a race car paint job hahaha but who am i to complain :)
dash1.jpg
In amongst my sickness i had to get out and fit the gauges to the dash just to see how it looked, pretty happy with the result!
dash2.jpg
dash2.jpg (344.71 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Not sure when we'll get a chance to do more, im out of quarantine on the 14th .... the hope is now to do the interior floor, we've already painted the inside of the roof, then after the floor is done, 1. the interior can start to go back together and 2. we can start on the blue paint on the body!
in june it will be 6 years since i got this car, so its pretty cool to finally have some colour going on! even just having the car in one colour of primer is 200% better to look at! :punk:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

That looks awesome, love the color ... Most all (one wears Furious Fuchsia) of our street vehicles wear a similar color.

Who is the painter, Pops ??
Looks good ...

I believe a race car deserves a quality paint job as well ... Our race cars are almost always show ready!

We went through COVID in the house a couple weeks ago, it's a death sentence for me so I remained extremely isolated in my cave, receiving food/drink through a pass through ... It's now been through the family except for my wife, our #1 son and his GF whom tended the sick, while my wife remained in the clean part of the house (main house) providing food to the different sections through separation rooms.

The hardest part for me was being away from my wife for the time!
All clear, all good now ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Yeah dad is the painter, we both brandish the spray gun but so far i have only layed on primer (and the pressure packs on the roll cage)

we were pretty worried about our daughter (3.5yrs old) as shes had alot of asthma issues when she gets sick, and ended up in hospital 6 times in 2020 ... but she got it least of all of us so that was great, im happy to take the pain for her to not end up in hospital for once!