FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

Welded back in the sections i cut out to allow me to weld the tops of the roll cage
roof hole 1.jpg
roof hole 1.jpg (120.13 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
roof hole 2.jpg
roof hole 2.jpg (110.18 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
There was some minor warping in a few spots but nothing dad wasnt able to massage out

also made some caps for the parcel tray was one of the things the tech inspector wanted.
parcel shelf caps.jpg
parcel shelf caps.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
my drum of methanol arrived on wednesday so i ran the car up on E85 to use a bit more of it up, and also to get the motor up to temp and burn off some of the fuel in the oil, then drained the E85 and shes not got a full belly of methanol ready for when i can arrange a dyno hopefully in the next week or two :comp: :turbo:
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Neat repair
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Well what a weekend..... where do i start ...... finally got the car to the dyno, was pretty nervous not for the dyno process but for the amount of unknowns in this whole combo :?

Nice early start, had to be on the rollers at 9:30am, Claire wanted to come with me *insert love heart icon here* and as you can see was enjoying mummys cup of tea!
IMG_8554.JPG
You actually cant tell from this picture that the wheel is in the guard about 4 inchs!

Pulled up at the dyno, good opportunity with the sun on the right side.
IMG_8557.JPG
So did a heap of steady state tuning to get the part throttle stuff half ok, then started moving to some ramp runs, the plan was run it up with the wastegate pressure of ~14psi and then if all was good start adding some duty cycle to the boost controller, so i could get an idea of what DC% did what boost wise and slowly work up to about 20-25psi.

First ramp run it boosts to 237kpa and spat me over the front wheel chocks :o :wtf: so after that we strapped the front wheels down, and looked at the logs, was definitely 19psi straight up at 40% throttle!

i then did a few more partial load runs to see what was going on, tried making the flex table for the boost controller all 0% and then 100% to see if it was just backwards and it just didn't change anything, so i ended up just removing the boost controller and running a vacuum line to the under side of the wastegate so i could at least get gate pressure and leave it at that.

This was one of the earlier power runs, approx. 13psi on the waste gate - unfortunately i was there by myself so wasn't able to get any videos from outside the car.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSEMd5l4xE[/youtube]
The logs were showing me that at around 6800rpm the boost was starting to increase still, so first run it made 330hp, i then added two degrees of timing to the boost spark table, power went up to 340hp, i added another two degrees and it went up to 350hp :)
IMG_8584.PNG
So i did a bit more fiddling to try and see if there was any reason why the boost was increasing but couldn't work anything out, i also hadn't seen the shift light come on, so i pushed it to shift light rpm (7700) and to my surprise it boosted to 22psi and made the 399hp
IMG_8563.JPG
So all in all a good day, with no major show stoppers. Few small things to work out, and i have a feeeling my wastegate might be too small, so i am going to try a bit of lathe reaming and die grinding to see if i can get it a few mm larger, then when i go to gunnedah i can see if its still an issue, and worst case if it is i can just limit rpm to stop it, or use it to my advantage if i am not winning lol! :driving:

As it sits its making just a bit less on wastegate pressure than the Gemini did, but its a bit heavier, so it will probably do a low 7 over the 1/8th and then my hope is i can work out the boost controller issue so i can also have that to play with at to get it to 6.9 or similar.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

FFFAAAARRRRKKKK YYYEEEAAAHHH great results :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

2nd Gareths comment
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

WOW for it's first activity it's really hauling.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Impressive little beast ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Thanks guys!

Charlescrown, to be fair the whole engine combo is mostly proven on the Gemini so it should have worked! I guess the real test will be how it goes down the track!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Great result, the dyno tuner came to a similar conclusion about my wastegate and I have plans to replace mine in the future.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Thats very interesting how the power falls off, then cranks back up again at higher rpms. And a great result! I reckon it would be legit to round up the 399.7 and call it 400hp. :D :thumbup: :turbo:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396