vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by vlad01 »

Glad I've only had to deal with one piece seals, so much easier.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Post by Macca97 »

Theres bugger all Neo rear seal 202s around from factory, im hoping atleast one of mine are,

somehow my 308 with a rope seal doesnt leak, since its on its 2nd crankshaft, with the same rope seal, never leaves a drop of oil on the ground in the last 3yrs
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Holden202T wrote:
like i said i havent run it for long, but literally not a drop has come out so far, and when i ran it before it was leaking almost as soon as it started.
Sounds promising :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i've never had issues with rope seals is all i can say! this motor will be my decision weather i love or hate neoprene seals hahaha!

i cant remember where the block came from, LH Torana i think.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Didn't the 202 go back to rope seals?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah the later model blue/black motors are rope.

In other news, last night dad and I started on the window cut out, so we managed to get the front window mostly cut out, it needs some trimming on the edges but we chose to go on the larger side for the first one to make sure!

Its obviously sitting lower than where it should be but i couldnt get it to stay up and hold the camera at the same time!
IMG_7245.JPG
we've also made a template for the side windows and started on the back one, as it got too late to make too much noise, but its moving forward at a good rate :)

i need to try and decide on a method to attach them, i have a few ideas but nothing locked in yet.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Apparently the trick with neo seals is to offset the joints a little from the block/cap mating surface.

I did a rope rear main in a 3.3 many moons ago, never done one before and it didn't leak, must have been pure luck? Soak, fit, trim?

Looking good 202, can't wait for the first driving video :)
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
I learned about flange sealants many moons ago and I used to use some Ford flange sealant on the ever leaking early 2 piece SBC's once you put a bigger pump on and had more clearance for RPM. When I couldn't seem to get the Ford stuff anymore, I used one of the Loctite variants. I think the 510 was the same as the Ford stuff and the 518 was too thin. I'll check at the shop tomorrow. This strategy completely ended my circle track engines having that small amount of fluid leaking from the rear main. Oh, just to be clear, this doesn't eliminate the seal, just used as a sealer to help the mating surface of the seal to block and a thin swipe at the parting lines where you could offset if you like.
Loctite_510.jpg
Loctite_510.jpg (8.45 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
Last edited by In-Tech on Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The 510 is good shit, we use that at work all the time.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I used that stuff under the bolt heads on the sump bolts on my VR along with aviation sealant (the brown goo) on the rubber gasket. 7 years on and its not even weeping.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.