cars: HQ Holden

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by HQ355 »

HR discs are probably worth more than the hoppers kit aswell these days lol
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

breaks only slow ya down haha now you have to accelerate more rotating mass perhaps more horsepower is required :) they do look like a good upgrade are they stock vt type calipers and rotors? makes it easy to match the rear and master if they are.
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

The HR set up is probably heavier being cast iron caliper vs alloy and a solid rotor vs vented, if I was doing 10's in an FX I know which brake set up I'd want lol
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

the hr rotor is only 11mm thick from memory but yes I totally agree with wanting good stoppers. :thumbup:
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

Your kidding 11mm ! Wtf, the rears on my HQ are 15+ and 14.7 min (actualy HZ discs rear on my Q) I'd definatly be wanting better brakes !
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

You dont need much in terms of brakes on a relatively light drag car, even running 10s can pull up with push bike brakes! Well maybe something a little more :lol: but a common setup is actually motorbike brakes.

The car is looking like a great base to build from :thumbup: Looking forward to another build thread :D
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

The kit as I recall uses BA falcon or something like that discs and calipers, by all reports the only difference is the hat is not as deep, which means they meet maximum track width increase limits!

in my case its just that I had them left over from the FB Ute and they are commodore stud pattern so that was my reasons, plus they should stop very well :)

they are a bit heavier than the HR setup, rightly so, way more surface area!

in other news I shortened a commodore diff today, its not quite done, but its roughly dummied up to see where everything sits!
P1130359.JPG
P1130361.JPG
P1130355.JPG
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

didn't get a lot of time, but started sussing out some chassis strengthening rails :)

they slot into the spring mounts, and they will be welded together once finished and will be stitched along the floor and to the front cross brace.
P1130362.JPG
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Those original front spring mounts look a bit frail so those rails should stiffen it up a bit. Looks like your going to stick with leaf springs?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah they are decieving, when i first looked at them i thought weak too, but there is a few layers of metal, also there is a plate from the side of the sill to them which is what that rail is actually resting on, and it all ties in, but yeah will certainly strengthening it im hoping.

and yeah plan to start out with the leaf springs and see how it goes!