cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Charlescrown »

I dreampt I was building one and you were giving me tips on body repairs so I suppose that's good.
gibbo
cars: Fx Holden, Hilux 4wd VS V6 4l60-e LPG

Post by gibbo »

Holden202T wrote:I then decided I wanted to work on the transmission tunnel, so I got out my pro bending machine and set about making up a section.
I'm interested in how you bend the sheetmetal. I see you have a piece of angle iron to clamp it, but how do you do the folding? They look really straight.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Charlescrown wrote:I dreampt I was building one and you were giving me tips on body repairs so I suppose that's good.
so when are you getting one ;)
gibbo wrote:I'm interested in how you bend the sheetmetal. I see you have a piece of angle iron to clamp it, but how do you do the folding? They look really straight.
yeah basically just get the line on the edge of the saw horse, then clamp it down with the angle, and then I just push it down with my hands, and use phone spirit level app to measure angle before and after to get the angle I want.

longer / thicker bits can require some massaging with the hammer, I normally use a lump of wood so it doesn't don't the metal as much and spreads the load over a larger area.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Probably just before the divorce. 10 cars now makes thin ice.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

hahahahaha ;)
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

So before Christmas I put my template tail shaft in to get a proper one made.... now this template was one I actually made for the gemini as a template, and it happened to be almost right for this car, 1 inch too short ....

so I gave them my template with a mark on the yoke where the gearbox seal was, and also 1100mm from diff flange to gearbox seal, and made with thicker tube etc.... old mate said being the week before Christmas it might be a month with Christmas closure and all the work they already had, no issues I have no floor in the car anyways!

So almost the end of jan I get a call that its done, missus had the day off for a doctors appointment so I got her to collect it for me, paid money and off she went.

Got home, sat it beside the template and thought WTF its the same size.
tailshaft1.jpg
You can see in the next pic the mark on the tailshaft I gave them where the seal was.
tailshaft2.jpg
tailshaft2.jpg (125.14 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Deciding to humour myself I thought i'd stick it in the car just to see if it was in fact too short, as the yokes were slightly different splined lengths and what not.

So get under the car, and cant get the yoke to even start on the gearbox, and turning it you could tell no splines were even attempting to mesh.

Get back out and look at the two yokes and just by eye I could see it was smaller, WTF 2 .....

So I took it back and the bloke sussed it out, agreed it was too short for the paperwork he had, and counted the splines, turns out it was a 26 spline yoke (VL) and mine is 27, so he says we'll remake it longer and with new end.

A week later I got it back and brought it home, sat it beside the template, get fucked its even shorter!

Took it back again, and old mate measures it and can't work out where they got the measurement from, other than overall length is 1100, he said they usually do installed length (which I gave him) or uni to uni etc .... so we'll fix it again for you.
Last Friday morning I got the completed one third time lucky, yes it was, 1inch longer, right yoke and all that hehe
tailshaft3.jpg
tailshaft3.jpg (84.45 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
So I had to install it just to settle my mind!! :)
tailshaft4.jpg
And thanks to Vlad for the tip on the ARP part numbers for these!, a small flat ground on one side of the nuts and they clear the lip on the flange, and it also works to stop them rotating so you only need one spanner :)
tailshaft5.jpg
tailshaft5.jpg (153.24 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
All I can say is lucky I didn't need it in a hurry!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Hopefully I will be bolting up mine the same some time soon. I got told my bolts/nuts and rotors will be done this Friday. Any luck my other stuff should be plated and my HVAC stuff done next week. Should be able to drop the engine and diff in not long after.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if your going to have the nuts on the diff side, if you grind the lip till its level with the nuts hex that's pretty much perfect amount to remove .... and I put the nuts on that side as they have 1mm smaller hex and lip so they worked better to grind than the bolt head.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I don't suppose you can post the ARP part numbers for those bolts/nuts?

Are they a lock nut type or is it a loctite job?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I don't have them handy, but I still have the cardboard backing at home so I can get them for you!