FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

So the story leading up to Gunnedah ....

I took the week off before Gunnedah figuring i could get the car done and ready on the mon-wed as Claire would be in daycare so i'd get three full days to work on it .... the weekend before that Claire gets a cold, so i had to do daddy daycare, all good, wednesday and thursday my brother and i slog all day and dad helped out as well in the arvos ...

Bonnet, boot, and rear guards we had prepped pretty good for paint, but the doors were all still un-touched but we managed to give them a rub back, weld holes etc and blow a coat of primer on them, so atleast the whole car was the same colour, we also did a quick home wheel alignment too. Drove it out of the shed 4pm thursday, with just enough time to give the wheels a wash!

Loaded up friday morning and travelled to Gunnedah, pretty un-eventful trip, solid pub feed on the way and beers were had around 4pm! the beginning of my holidays haha!

Saturday got to the track, signed in, unloaded the car, got all setup, went out for my first run, could barely spin the tyres in the burnout water, just wanted to push the front wheels, and pulled hard to the right. Staged up and give it a hit, went ok, 7.7sec, not a world record but ok for the first run ever in the car. Drove ok, nothing weird too report just lacking in HP a bit.

So back at pits, check the tune, slightly lean across the board but not too bad, so added some fuel, and also added 30% duty cycle to the boost controller. Go out for the second run, get in the water, stand on the two step, let it rip, sweet burnout, but still pulled hard to the right .... backed up to the start line, they signal me to shut it down, cause theres fuel pissing out of the boot ............. water separator on the bottom of the filter decided to die (new filter 3 days ago)

Took ages to get towed back to the pits, but once we got back there my brothers flew into town with the filter to see if they could get a replacement. They came back with a sump plug with an alloy washer and some thread tape. It was the wrong thread but we hoped we could jam it in there enough to seal, turns out it wouldnt seal on the threads, so i just kept tightening it till it went in enough to seal on the alloy washer, i reckon it was about 5.5 ugga duggas :P .... While they were in town doing that i put a turn on the right rear coil over shock to try and straighten it up in the burnout.

So missed a run during all this, so went out for the last run of the day, did another two step burnout, worked well, just had to lightly steer to the left, much better! back it up and send it, 7.09 and felt much better, was clearly getting wheel spin off the line too. Unfortunately though my data log didnt record so no data for the extra boost :/

sunday morning i decided to leave it as it was as 7.00 was my class limit and i also wanted to get a log of the setup before i did anything else .... so tried dropping the tyre pressures a bit and went out, first run of the day, fucking 6.56 @ 173KPH!!! i was expecting 1 tenth not 5 tenths!! So on inspecting the log it was 21psi and slowly increasing with revs to 25psi at 7500rpm.

So i removed the boost control duty cycle to try and get it back to 7.0's, subsequent runs where 6.7 & 6.89, on my second qualifying pass i had the battery fail when i went to re-start the car in the deep end of the track, so i had to get towed back to the pits, luckily had a battery in the trailer for my winch so was able to put it in, but in an attempt to limit starts and heat during eliminations i decided to get towed to the start line and back from the deep end (half the people in my group were too so no big issue) .... so i dialled into eliminations with a 6.90 and i dropped the shift light rpm a bit to try and get it closer to 7.0's

First round of eliminations i line up beside probably the fastest and most consisent car in my group, he had to sit on the tree for 0.9secs after i left, and i can tell you he came past me pretty quick at the top end, he passed me well before the finish line so i backed out of it figuring i can only hope he breaks out and i dont ...... he did a 5.979 on a 6.00 dialin!!!
Second round i wasnt so lucky and got taken out.

All in all a very successful weekend, and better results than i had expected from the first outing! Certainly didnt expect to go 2 tenths quicker than the gemini on the first outing!

Got a few things i want to work on for improvements but all in all stoked, and the 6.56 translates to a low 10 over the quarter, so heres hoping one day i can get that 9 i am aiming for!

And it looks like i need to save for the safety gear needed to move to super sedan quicker than i had anticipated!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Thats a awesome story, thanks for posting it up! The feels and the fun and the challenge, and a success - great stuff!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Oh boy do I remember those days ... Sure do miss them!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Holden202T wrote:i dont think this is the same run but its one of the better in car videos.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJS_q7nt1Go[/youtube]
Fianlly got to watch this at work as I can't see the link on my iPAD.

Awesome, that hammers. I need to get my ute back on the road.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Certainly turned out to be a quick car. Looks like it's got some serious traction problems off the line. What was the A/F ration where you said it was running lean?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Charles, i cant remember exactly, but the target afr was like 5.2 or something and it was 5.4-5.5 ..... i'd need to look at the logs to be more specific, but it was also slightly lean on the return road, like 6.4 target and i was seeing almost 7's .... so i just did a blanket 5% increase and then it was rich everywhere :P

with all the log viewing issues i had over the weekend i just wanted to blanket change it, know it was on the rich side and focus on other things, at least this way i knew it wasnt going to burn up and i can tweak it from my data logs later.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

so after a bit of a break from the car after Gunnedah event i have started to put together a list of improvements / changes i want to do.

so first thing was i have constantly had oil leaks from the trimatic pan, and the main cause of this is the pressed steel pan rail, it just cuts the gasket if you tighten it too much, and if you dont do that it just leaks ... so screwed either way.... so i decided to bite the bullet and get an alloy pan with a 10mm rail on it, and i figure the extra oil capacity can't hurt at all!
2.jpg
2.jpg (221.71 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
So as it turns out this pan also comes with a second fitting, which is the right thread to suit an Ecotec V6 coolant temp sensor, so i'll be adding that into my data logging just cause i can!
3.jpg
3.jpg (166.12 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Next on the list i wanted to get an oil pressure sensor on the engine that i can see in data logs, so i found the right adaptor needed to use an Alloytec V6 oil pressure sensor that i already had.
4.jpg
4.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
I now just need a T piece out of the brass adaptor, which will feed my turbo and T off to the dash gauge sensor, this also works out well as the dash gauge sensor is really big and almost hit on the side of the oil pump, so things fit a bit nicer this way.
5.jpg
5.jpg (387.89 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
I also had issues of the dipstick tube blowing out some oil, not much but i don't want any to leak so i determined its probably in need of a crank case breather, so i have ordered this alloy fuel pump blank off plate, to which i will weld an alloy speedflow -12 fitting, then i can run this up to my oil catch can - speedflow parts are in the post as we speak!
1.jpg
1.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
I am also working on trying to get some different front springs to see if i can get the front sitting a bit lower, but this is purely cosmetics, nothing to do with performance!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Nice pan :thumbup:

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I recon I can help with springs. What length and diameter are you after?

Still going to stick with 350lbs?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Thanks Gareth, i have emailed viking directly to see if they have an option .... I'd probably not waste your time looking till i get word back from viking as they might well have an off the shelf option for me.
2022-04-14_10-30-03.jpg
2022-04-14_10-30-03.jpg (39.85 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
this is what i have now (part # 9TP350), ideally if you could get the same specs in 2 inches shorter that would be perfect. Currently the car sits about 1 inch too high, and i am on the limit of the lower thread of the shock, so 2 inch smaller spring would give me the ride height i want and also the ability to move it up/down half an inch if needed ...

The main factor other than length is the size at the top suits the original HR front end spring mount, and the bottom obviously suits the shock size.