FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

yeah they certainly look the goods, i havent really had a chance to do much with the ones in the FX yet, other than when installed them i put them on full soft then full hard and jumped on the rear of the car! :)
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Bit more progress, after re-aligning all the front guard/bonnet/grille attachment points and probably from some tweaks i did to the turbo manifold the exhaust exit in the guard wasnt in the right spot, so i did a combination of enlarging part of the guard hole and cutting and re-attaching the last bend in the exhaust pipe and got it back out the hole! It needs some minor trimming in a few spots but its good enough for the time being!
IMG_7894.JPG
IMG_7894.JPG (201.2 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
When i made the four link diagonal adjustment bar i cut it slightly too short, and i wasnt really happy with the amount of threads in the bar on the rose joints, so i hatched a plan to lengthen the bar and also added a hex section to allow a spanner on for adjusting.

So i cut the bar in the centre...
IMG_7891.JPG
IMG_7891.JPG (99.5 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Then machined up a bit of hex bar to go inside it ...
IMG_7892.JPG
IMG_7892.JPG (78.88 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
And glued it all back together!
IMG_7893.JPG
I also just got a notification that my front coil over shocks are in the mail so thats a bit exciting! i highly doubt i'll see them before the weekend but i'd say definitely next week some time!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Cool it will be good to see how the coil overs turn out.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

That tube looks like Chromoly ??

Rose Joint = Heim Joint ??
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Gampy wrote:That tube looks like Chromoly ??

Rose Joint = Heim Joint ??
how can you tell that with paint on it ?

and yes heim joint :)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Just a wild guess ... :roll:

Color!

If you look at that cold rolled mild steel hex bar stock it will be a bit duller in tone then the 4130, chromium is a lustrous material.

But I must admit I really am guessing a bit for I really can't see the end cut of the tube so well, not to mention the white of the background tossing in a curve ball ...

A little Tap Magic would do wonders on the finish of them cuts and add life to the cutter.

You glue it with er70 mig ??

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i wasnt too stressed about the finish of the cuts as they were going into the tube, i was more concerned on a nice snug fit :)

yeah was just mig welded.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Yup, knew that from the spiral running the carriage back ;) ... was just pushing Tap Magic!
No affiliation, just have used it for 50 years, love that stuff, nothing better, it's Magic!

Did you pre heat the 4130 to 4-500F, then slow cool it ??
Those two will heat and cool differently possibly causing cold joining and or cracking.
Honestly, I don't think you'll have an issue, many have done it ... it's just ""more"" proper.

Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

So the coil over kit arrived last week, been a bit busy but finally got to having a play with them this week!
IMG_8075.JPG
IMG_8075.JPG (348.68 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
IMG_8076.JPG
IMG_8076.JPG (274.25 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
I cant really get it to sit low enough at the front (its about 1/2 to 1inch too high), so i may need a softer set of springs, but i'll be racing it as it is to begin with and see how it all settles in before i change anything. Aside from that they are sweet as!

The car has been on stands for something like 6 months, finally got her back on the ground now!
IMG_8077.JPG
IMG_8077.JPG (430.77 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
The list is slowly but surely getting finished, the biggest work left now is fitting the front doors and front/rear windows then its got to be pretty close to getting a tech inspection :thumbup:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Holden202T wrote:I cant really get it to sit low enough at the front (its about 1/2 to 1inch too high), so i may need a softer set of springs
You do not want to use spring rate to adjust ride height ... Spring rate is a handling tunable, not a ride height adjustment.

You need to either change spring height or you need to modify the mounting points, unfortunately springs come in standard heights (lengths), not incremental heights.
Thus your only real choice is to either leave it, or modify the mounting points ... In the end you are going to want the ride height adjustable, and not be limited by lack of adjustment.

In some kits the upper spring retainer (between the spring and upper shock mount) are cones, some come flat, if you have cone shaped ones you can go with flat ones and gain a little more adjustment ...