cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Charlescrown »

Ah yes now I see it. Fantastic job so far.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Next question is what are the 2 (what look like adjustable) screw in the middle of the plate? Are the a support for the bearing caps?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes they have feet on them and you screw a little bit of load on them caps to add support and prevent much of the flex they get under high load.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep thats right, cant remember the setting but they are needed to be torqued up once the backing plate is fitted.
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

Came across these may be of interest https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 810165989/
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

So i got the tyres swapped, and i must say, it definitely looks fat as now with the deeper dish, and the 10 inch rims are a much nicer fit for the tyre compared to the 7's!
IMG_1455.jpg
IMG_1455.jpg (273.74 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Unfortunately though the gap is just too big for my liking and the other side is actually worse, meaning the diff is not quiet centred properly so would only make this one a larger gap.
IMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1456.jpg (190.43 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
at least now with the diff in the car and tyres on the rims i can properly locate it and work out how much longer i want the diff to be.
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Post by Macca97 »

or is this a good excuse for bigger rubber :hmm:
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ok so the tyre on there now is a 26x10 .... 26 is the height and 10 is the width (15 inch rim)

the issue is there are no other tyres in 26 inch high, they go higher, so i need to be mindful of this for front to rear guard clearance.

if i went:

10.5 the height is 28 or bigger.
11 the height is 29 or bigger.
11.5 the height is 28 or bigger.
12 there is a 26 inch, but its not a mickey thomspon, and from friends experience i am not sure i want to go to that brand.

pretty much anything above 12 its 31 inch so no go there .... but i also don't think i will ever need much more than an 11-12 anyways.

my aim is to have about 1 inch max clearance, because as the tyre spins faster it grows and gets narrower, so side clearance shouldn't be too much of an issue, but as it is now there is about 2.5 inchs and it just looks shit, also as stated before, i am about to get billet axles, i'd prefer to have a second diff cut up to get the length right than to need to buy another set of axles later on.

as it stands i have another diff at my brothers place from one of the many commodores we've raped and pillaged, so its not a cost other than time to strip/clean and cut mounts off.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

The diameter change is whats called a variable diff ratio. Nice wheels.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Some brands are a lot wider we had a 26x10 or 10.5 that was 11.5 at the tread section width and bildge width varies hugely between brands. Best thing we ever did was go 28×10.5 The contact patch was a lot longer in the front to rear direction a lot made for way more traction than a wider tyre at 26"
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem