FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

oh look its nearly a year since my last update!

there has been some progress, like finishing off steering rack mounts and little things like that which arnt really photo worthy, grinding welds etc ....

also pulled the sump off the engine to replace the rear main seal (hopefully all good now) and shortened the front few main cap studs to fix the issues of the front of the sump not fully sealing, so hopefully thats the end of all the oil leaks!

stubs axles and steering arms and random parts have been cleaned and painted also.

anyways there has finally been some real photographable progress!

Finally had a good use for dads new plasma cutter, and oh how it makes quick work compared to the grinder! So used it to cut out the roll cage mounting plates and also do the radius on the corners to suit ANDRA's reqs.
01.jpg
01.jpg (232.45 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
It was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle that had to go together in a certain order!
02.jpg
02.jpg (374.84 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
03.jpg
Unfortunately there was no way to maneuver the cage to get at the top of the joins once the main hoop and forward supports were joined! :(
04.jpg
04.jpg (211.96 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
So after lots of thinking and failing i had to bite the bullet and put some holes in the roof to get the welds completed, i did cry a little bit inside!
05.jpg
05.jpg (310.55 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
06.jpg
06.jpg (159.23 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
From there it got a lot easier and came together pretty quickly, probably mostly because i had most of the bars already made, some needed minor trimming.
08.jpg
08.jpg (216.87 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
09.jpg
09.jpg (243.4 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (183.54 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (163.71 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
I did get a few nice distractions along the way too :)

Claire normally sings "the wheels on the bus go round and round" .... at the time of this photo it was "the wheels on the racecar go round and round" :lol:
11.jpg
11.jpg (201.33 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
I need to remove the seat and the steering column now so then i can get in and finish a few welds on the cage, then its time to flip her on her side and start painting underneath!

This will also be a good opportunity to fit the crown wheel and pinion to the diff and then add oil and its finished.

once under neath is painted it will come back down to have the diff and front end fitted, which will mark the beginning of it going together for good!

i hope to get some poly carbonate in the coming weeks too so i can work on all the windows, need to make mounting tabs for them and weld to the windows frames etc.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I was starting to think that this project had stopped completely, great to see it still ticking along :thumbup:

Ahem, no reference?!?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

picture 9 on the bonnet in a black stubbie cooler hahahah!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

sorry missed that :lol: :lol: :lol:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah looking really good, and some quite good progress there. I am also looking forward to seeing it go back to together for real. You were just waiting for that ^ comment, hey :)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah when i was uploading the photos i noticed that and was happy that i had at least one reference! :lol:
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Seat looks comfy.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Plasma cutters are awesome, so much quieter, cleaner and safer than cutting with a grinder but not sure how they go with panel warpage on thinner panels. . I picked mine up from Bunnings for $299 marked down from $600.

It must have been difficult cutting a holes in the roof but you have to do what you have to do and Good to see you getting back into it.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Charlescrown wrote:Seat looks comfy.
how about now Charles ? :)
seat.png
Yeah Heff i did debate cutting them out with the plasma, it probably would have been fine but i didnt want to risk it and the grinder with 1mm disc was a known result
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Yeah shrinking panel warpage is a PITA.