FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Gampy

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Gampy »

Holden202T wrote:Yeah Heff i did debate cutting them out with the plasma, it probably would have been fine but i didnt want to risk it and the grinder with 1mm disc was a known result
I suspect you would of found out that you preferred using a disc over plasma for them weld windows ...

No slag clean up, narrower kerf (gap) to fill when re-welding, no warping.

[edit]
A bit late, however there is another trick depending on what is under the base plates, poke holes, allow the cage to drop, weld up the tops, lift the cage, weld up the holes, slide the base plates in place and weld em up.
Last edited by Gampy on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Much better. Looks like it would only weigh about 2kg.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i didnt originally plan to do the base plates as they are but the andra rules changed between the start and now forcing me to use them (or change other things that were much harder) and unfortunately it was after i had welded the floor in place .... if i was to do it again i would leave the 4 link area un-sheeted, which would allow the back of the cage to drop down enough to do it ... anyways thats life!

and yeah the seat weighs fuck all, its awesome! i even got the one with foam padding this time, never had that luxury in the Gemini :P
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Great week of progress, got the car stripped down and flipped onto its side again to finish painting under neath.

So now that the diff was back out i was able to get the nice new 4.11 crown wheel and pinion installed.
1.JPG
2.JPG
2.JPG (243.1 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
Back plate on for good and the carrier cap girdle screws torqued up! :) 5lb/ft tension.
3.JPG
I had a pretty cute foreman for the day, helped me do up some bolts and was happy to flip her shoes off and sit in the directors chair!! :lol:
4.JPG
4.JPG (147.95 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
So with the car on its side and a handful of underbody coating spray cans we set about getting her all tidied up!
5.JPG
Certainly having the one colour makes it a lot nicer to look at!
6.JPG
While i was waiting for the paint to dry on the body i got the tappet cover off the motor and re-did the tappets as i had backed them all off when it came out of the car a few years ago.
7.PNG
7.PNG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
Also replaced the water pump (which for some reason corroded where the remnants of water were sitting in the bottom of the block!!) and put a new oil filter and oil in it.

hopefully in the coming days the car will get put back on its wheels and then the driveline can start to go into it!! :)

also hopefully picking up a sheet of polycarbonate while im on leave over christmas/new year so should be pretty good timing to get stuck into that too early jan!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Can't wait to see the engine running in the car.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Was there much setting up to get the backlash and bearing preload correct?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I need one of those alternators, VR internal fan types.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

That’s one serious looking diff assembly. Always great stuff happening here.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

vlad01 wrote:Can't wait to see the engine running in the car.
It has been!! :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Z2kVbqEIk[/youtube]

or are you referring to actually racing ?
Charlescrown wrote:Was there much setting up to get the backlash and bearing preload correct?
the hardest bit was getting the crush tube squashed (my dewalt 1600 torques inpact driver helped alot though :)) the preload on the pinion i usually just do by feel, mind you i'll be checking it all after its been run in anger just to make sure nothings moved and made play, ie. a bearing cup not 100% home ... as for the backlash i was pretty lucky that the shims that were in it originally when swapped from side to side ended up in the ball park which was good as i cant find my stash of shims!!!
vlad01 wrote:I need one of those alternators, VR internal fan types.
Yes and thay are also 120amp!
heff0018 wrote:That’s one serious looking diff assembly. Always great stuff happening here.
Thanks man, im happy with how its all turning out!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah I mean actually driving/racing.

VR alternator is actually 85A, says so on the housing, its the VS onward that were 140A, I think? or maybe it was 100A?

I need another VR one as they are the only type for Buick that you can get underdrive pulleys for, don't want my alternator exploding with the engine revving over 7K. Max is 18K rpm for the alternator, stock pulleys I'd be doing about 23K, 5K over speed!