cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Charlescrown »

Can you believe how dumbarsed some people are. 3 attempts is too many. They didn't make much out of that deal.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

at least they took ownership of the fuckups and didn't try to blame me.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:if your going to have the nuts on the diff side, if you grind the lip till its level with the nuts hex that's pretty much perfect amount to remove .... and I put the nuts on that side as they have 1mm smaller hex and lip so they worked better to grind than the bolt head.

I had my flange spot faced on an end mill to accommodate the ARP bolt heads. I also ended up changing the bolts to their universal jobber pack of bolt as they have a metric head rather than metric thread and imperial head like those flywheel bolts you used as I originally got too.

One other difference is the flywheel bolts are 220,000psi tensile while the jobber kits are 180,000psi so they are effectively more elastic and malleable than the flywheel bolts. At least in theory they should be more forgiving to shock loads and less brittle. Not doubting the stronger ones won't break but there is a reason why OEM never use 12.9 class bolts on drive line and suspension as they can sheer under shock loads where lower grades will bend/deform in such conditions. The only disadvantage to the jobber kits is the bolts have no shank at that short length unlike the flywheel bolts but I don't think that matters unless they come loose and flog the holes out :lol:

I can get the numbers of both as I have them in a box next to the car.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

True about the 3 tries and accepting the problem. Sounds like a good shop who has a new apprentice or something who hopefully learnt something out of that. At least they got it sussed in the end.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah he did mention something about it was the first time they let the guy do the whole thing on his own.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

That’s all well and good but someone has the oversee the final work because the end result is your inconvenience. A long long time ago I broke a water pump bolt off in the block in my VB 308 SLE and sent it to Repco (when they had workshops and not just retail). While it was there I asked them to replace the timing chain. Got it all back together and fired it up and it started firing back thru the carb and spitting and carrying on. After plenty of head scratching we took the timing cover off and the chain was 180 degrees out. When I called Repco the shop foreman said that he inspected the timing gear after it was installed and it was perfect, obviously a lie and I told him as much. Then he asked what my qualifications were and when I said I wasn’t a mechanic he told me to piss off. I called Repco head office and they basically said the same. Maybe that’s why they don’t run workshops anymore. Anyway after about 3 hours and replacement of a broken rocker arm I suffered because someone let a junior loose on a job without the proper final review. If I did that at work i wouldn’t last long in my position.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I totally understand and agree, that is why I do everything I can myself, unfortunately I don't have the tooling to do the tailshaft :)
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

There is a big difference between customer expectations of quality and price versus reality in today's world.... :roll:

At least you got the right result in the end without further costs.... Let me put it to you guys another way, you see a doctor, the doctor plays guess the problem, sends you for lots of tests - that all cost lots of money, time, inconvenience, your mental health, etc... every time you see the doctor you pay - regardless if you get anywhere... If the same where for mechanics you would have paid each time you took your tail shaft back for 'another look at'....

It's still disappointing about the tail shaft none the less.

*end of rant*
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I see what you did there but I think there is a small difference between medical science and using a ruler to measure a length of steel tubing.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yeah, G does make a valid point.
that said ; there are such a thing as requirements ; and ; working to them.
clearly the place doing the work don't know how to collect these in a consistent manner to make sure that the outcome is correct in the first place.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.