FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Holden202T »

This has been in the planning stages for a while now, and in the want column for even longer! Finally last night the planets aligned and i have paid for this beast!

From what dad and i can see, this cars body is mint, the only one spot of rust we could find on it was about the size of 3 x 5c pieces lined up so for the age of the car its gold! The previous owner had planned to fit a L67 to it so there are a few mods in that regard but they will work for me anyways!
1.jpg
1.jpg (152.06 KiB) Viewed 17179 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (84.5 KiB) Viewed 17179 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 17179 times
Obviously there is alot of work to be done but the plan is to cage it out and build it from the ground up to be legal for ANDRA Super Sedan (good for 9.00 - 1/4 mile) first time around unlike the Gemini.

The motor/gearbox/fuel system will be straight from the Gemini, and the diff will be a cut down borg warner, front end will be rack and pinion steering conversion and commodore brakes/wheels all round.

I have had these brakes for a long time and they didn't really work on the FB Ute due to rim offset etc, but for this car they will be perfect, and as you can see i have already prepped them for drag spec wheel studs :)
WP_20160402_16_15_15_Pro.jpg
WP_20160402_16_15_15_Pro.jpg (187.86 KiB) Viewed 17179 times
The rear will most likely be VT-VZ rear calipers which match the fronts and will suit a VT-VZ booster/master also.

Thats about as far as i have gotten so far, but will post more after i pickup the car which is hopefully this saturday arvo!

Now your probably wondering whats happening with the Gemini if i'm removing everything from it.... well my brother who has the VS commodore with the Gemini's old 202 in it, is buying it, he'll be putting that motor and gearbox back in and running the Gemini N/A with NOS so should be a step up for him, and also means the Gemini stays in the family!

So we will both be racing at Gunnedah on 18/19 june then the dismantling will commence!
Gareth

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by Gareth »

Love it!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

So so happy for you mate that this has finally happening. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh! :punk:
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

That's a special car. Little bit of a shame to see an old classic like that chopped up and modified, but it sounds like you will be giving the old girl a new lease on life, so gotta be happy about that!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Firebug, its going to be at Scotty's place till after gunnedah but should be picking it up saturday arvo all going to plans.

tdracertd, yeah i guess the thing is, its already been modified plus doesn't have the original motor etc so it was never going to stand a chance of being put back to 100% original.

i do plan to keep it looking as stock body wise as i can, as i like the look of them with just a set of wheels and the right ride height! most everything else i am going to do is not going to require too many mods to the body.

I will be fitting a chassis strengthening kit to it though :P
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

I'm away on Saturday I'm afraid otherwise I'd be there with bells on!
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Love it, please say this one is going to be regoed for the road ?
wozza
cars: VR commodore

Post by wozza »

And please, please dont do this to her :)
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lonsdale ... 1093238413
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

HQ355 wrote:Love it, please say this one is going to be regoed for the road ?
i'll be honest, it probably wont ever see the road, but i am going to try and build it so it might be possible..... just usually means too many compromises for a race car!

in theory i could easily run my turbo 202 on E85 instead of methanol and just limit boost 5-10 psi or similar, but the issue is this car is too light, according to info i can find on the net its 1013kg stock, which means any boosted motor in it will have a max CC's of 2785 ..... 202's are 3300 :(

i don't know how much difference putting a 202 and auto into it plus roll cage will add to the stock figure but i am guessing its not going to be more than 20-30kgs .... either way the NCOP says original mass (kg) * 2.75 = max capacity in cc's so it doesn't matter what i add.
wozza wrote:And please, please dont do this to her :)
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lonsdale ... 1093238413
thats not really my style :P
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Sounds good. That's my kind of race car.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---