FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by heff0018 »

More interesting than block sanding and painting which is what I was doing over my Xmas break. Great work as always.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i dont envy you there mate!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Where do i start! So much progress!

We've made a template for the front window poly carbonate, hopefully soon cut that out.

I've also spent a lot of time doing wiring which is not a heap to show, but i did make a little removable panel which mounts all the fuses, relays, and ignition module.
1.jpg
1.jpg (442.47 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
Bonnet pins are now done.
2.jpg
I've managed to get the wiring to a point where i had what i needed to try and start it, so i then proceeded to focus on the engine bay bits i needed to run it :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsl5CTVSy8I[/youtube]

It hasnt run for too long yet as the radiator isnt connected, but im pleased to say initial tests seem to indicate i have fixed the rear main seal leak!!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Nice work.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

I have had my fair share of rear main seal dramas. Did you use a rope seal or neoprene
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

this motor has a neoprene rear main, the original one in it looked like the dust seal wasn't actually touching the crank whereas the new one i got did so i was hopeful thats all it was and maybe the one i got was just wrong ?
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

On The 265 in my Charger I tried both first the Neoprene seal which failed (probably my fault more than anything) and then a rope seal which held together but still did weep oil. My Ute 265 didn’t leak any oil from the rear main and I did notice that the knurling on the crank was quite pronounced and not worn like my Charger.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well every 202 i've built previously was rope seal and i have never had an issue with them, when i built this motor i didn't actually realise it was a neoprene seal motor until after i had it bored, so then i got the crank machined to suit it (removed the knurling) as it was a rope seal blue 202 crank. So then i went and bought a blue 202 gasket set (to suit the head gasket etc) and it came with a rope seal so i went to my machine shop and they just gave me a neoprene seal that they had one the shelf, so it may or may not have been for the 202, or it might have been an oversize one or something .... anyways i got a felpro one from ebay which was i tihnk a chev v6 and small block v8 or something all the same ones and the right size to suit 202, and it was the "race version" so it seems its the right one.

like i said i havent run it for long, but literally not a drop has come out so far, and when i ran it before it was leaking almost as soon as it started.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Is it a 2 piece seal?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Yeah two piece, you can just see the silastic in the join on the right side of the seal
crank.jpg