VC Valiant

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
rxfc3s
cars: rx7
bt1 vn v8

VC Valiant

Post by rxfc3s »

Howdy guys,
Been a member for a few years and have just started to have a browse back on this site for ideas for my '66 VC Valiant. I've just rebuilt a 318 for it and have in the last month or so, fitted it to the car, rebuilt the Holley Carb and got it to a point where it's almost ready for the road.
My plan is to eventually put fuel injection on it, whether it be using a Fitech Unit or a Delco Conversion.
I'm currently running an Edelbrock Dual Plane LD4B and would like to keep it. What would you guys recommend in terms of a sufficient throttle body setup I could use with the manifold? Not to fussed about multi point injection at the moment.
The motor specs are
- 318 +.040"
- xe268 comp cam hydr flat tappet
- kb167 pistons
- block zero decked
- standard rods and crank
- aeroflow alloy heads - 2.02" inlet / 1.6" exhaust valve. Inlet flow is around 251cfm @ .500"
- Comp ratio is about 9.7:1
- 2100rpm stall 904
Ideally I would like to think I could make 1hp/ci?

Anyway here a some pics for you guys from start to now. Enjoy!
Not long after I got her, running a slant 6 Leaning tower of Power. Great motor.
vc1.JPG
vc1.JPG (147.46 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
Decided after a few months, I wanted to do a V8 conversion, so I setup a work bench and some tools.
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG (130.57 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
I had a 318 that was an unknown at my parents house, so I got my hands on it and started stripping it down ready to be rebuilt.
DSCN0250.JPG
DSCN0250.JPG (58.25 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
DSCN0261.JPG
DSCN0261.JPG (72.44 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
IMG_2613.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG (155.13 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
Nasty! Motor had been rebuilt, was already .030" over, had to go to .040" to address this issue. Had excessive bore taper as well.
val.jpg
val.jpg (134.94 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
Back from the machine shop, ready to be bought back to life

Changed over to adjustable 273 rocker arms, pushrods were too long. Hmmmmm spend $200+ on pushrods or dig around and see what I can find out?? Found a few sets of Toyota 4K ball/cup push rods for $1 each at UpullIt! Exact same size, solid, only shorter. They work great!

Slant begone!

318 in! Many, many hours to get to this point

Knocked up a cheapo exhaust system for now to run the engine in, cam run in was nerve wracking. Replaced the factory ELB with a ready to run ebay special with inbuilt ignition module. Works excellent for the price. Two wire hookup

And obligatory shithouse iphone video. Running AU Falcon thermo fans on a thermatic relay controller
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWabuvCkR2g[/youtube]

Cheers
Andrew
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: VC Valiant

Post by MAGP »

Nice to see the classic Val being looked after.
rxfc3s wrote:I'm currently running an Edelbrock Dual Plane LD4B and would like to keep it. What would you guys recommend in terms of a sufficient throttle body setup I could use with the manifold? Not to fussed about multi point injection at the moment.
Ideally I would like to think I could make 1hp/ci?
There are a couple of ways of going with TB.
If you're not worried about multipoint then you'll need to find TB with the injectors being part of the TB. I'm not a big fan of these as you still end up with things like fuel puddling in the manifold just like a carby.
You'll need to think about airflow. A "street" 318 that never gets over 5.5-6k RPM really doesn't need anymore than 700 cfm. If setup (combination of parts) and tuned properly 1.5 cfm will give you 1 HP. A 700 cfm TB has plenty of room to provide 318 HP and give you good air velocity.
EFI Hardware used to do a TBI setup but it isn't listed on their page anymore, they do the standard TB (without injectors) and they can be ordered with all the peripherals you need. https://www.efihardware.com/products/c9 ... tle-bodies If you are considering a TBI you could ask them if they have any in stock still.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: VC Valiant

Post by heff0018 »

I might be doing a 360 in the future and will follow the same steps as my 265. A VC 318 will go well.

If you want to go a cost effective route then get a JE Camira loom with all the sensors/senders, a VN commodore V6 ECU and use a VN V8 throttle body. You just need to add 4 injector wires to the loom as it is batch fired anyway. The Camira sensors will fit straight to the throttle body, fit injector bungs into the manifold near the ports and point them towards the valves as much as possible and either alloy weld or JB Weld. I bet a fuel rail from a Holden V8 or similar could be modified to suit, cut and shut or lengthened otherwise efihardware can make them for you. Also will need the hardware from this website to be able to write to the ECU.

Plenty more in It than this but this is a an idea of what may be ahead.

Cheers and good luck.