355 with high rise manifold

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Re: 355 with high rise manifold

Post by pman92 »

Bigvl I'm not sure what brand the engine stand is but it is pretty sturdy.
It came from either supercheap or repco in kangaroo flat Vic.
They are next door to each other. I remember my brother saying he went into one and there was a cheaper one, but he went back to the other and said "next door has one cheaper" and they gave it to him for the same price because he thought this one was much better looking :lol:
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Ha, thanks for that :D I brought two of them, both have YD25's bolted to them now :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

We have a YD25 on a stand at work at the moment as well :roll: :lol:
MrModule.com.au
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Broken ring lands?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

They weren't broken but there was huge scores down the bore where the piston or rings had grabbed on.
Broken plastic heater junction in a d40 and cooked the crap out of it
MrModule.com.au
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Post by Macca97 »

yd25 month? had one come in with a snapped crank, still ran, didnt sound to great though
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Dylan wrote:I have one in the 12P custom tune thread VK355 have a look there at both coolant contribution and charge temp table. Its very consistent at all temps and weather. It runs a COME TTB intake.
I also recently tuned a 304 with a torque power and a 284 cam and it had some changes on both tables. It takes time the coolant contribution table is very sensitive small changes is the trick. It'll take lots of logs and back and forwards to get it right but well worth it.
Finally got it running today. Set the base timing, verified the fuel pressure, sorted out all the little issues like coolant leak and fans weren't running. Didnt have much of a chance to do anything tune wise.
I've made up a tune basing the coolant contribution and charge temp from your VK355 tune, with alot of timing pulled out and VE table that should be pretty rich to start on the safe side.
I understand now what you mean by very sensitive. It was running pretty rich as it warmed up, and didn't really come up from the minimum 10:1 on the wideband until way after it should have. We turned it off to sort out the fans, and after 5 minutes of the manifold heat soaking it became hard to start and was running lean. After a bit more heat soaking it wouldn't start at all until we let it cool down for an hour.

Now all the basics are set I'll get a log next time and get stuck into it. It will definitely be a challenge but looking forward to it.
Unsure if I should stay with the Vk355 coolant and charge temp tables or go back to a stock standard table and start from there?
MrModule.com.au
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Refresh my memory what intake is fitted?
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Dylan wrote:Refresh my memory what intake is fitted?
As pictured on the first post.
It's a Chinese rip off of a brand name manifold
MrModule.com.au
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I've done a few of them they don't swing to far from stock from memory. Not as far as my VK355 that was a COME TTB intake.
Think it used them same charge temp and coolant contribution tables as my 304 with the Motec intake.

Might be best to go to stock there. If it's hard to start back off the second stage cranking table.