vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Intake

Post by vlad01 »

I have read a bit there, assuming that's were it came from.

G picked up a V6 one as heard a similar issue, guy couldn't tune it so blamed the manifold. Its brand new practically, never hit the road as the car apparently wouldn't run right haha.

We will be testing this one soonish.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I remember some shit about a guy not be able to tune one of the MACE twin TB ecotec intakes. Not really seen anybody use a COME V8 unit (on JC) and the V6 unit is fairly much like the stock unit just greater volume, 2 barrel TB and modified runner entries along with longer runners.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

I’ve heard things as well, 2 people who’s opinion I trust though say there ok, if it didn’t work i’l sell it, plenty of people looking for them ! I think the bad rep comes from people who put them on a stock or fairly stock 5litre, but like putting a victor jnr in a std 350. Horses for courses
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The runner entries are actually stock on them so plans are to have them machined out. The TB entrance on the COME is vastly improved, shape and size. That is one of the biggest issue with the stock plenum is the choked inlet after the TB, no matter how big the TB, it just doesn't flow beyond a certain point as its only about 65 x 55mm oval fully ported, even smaller stock. Also the LIM is shockingly bad even ported, the runner size needed is actually the size of the casting on the outside lol

I suggested to G to customize the LIM by machining out the runners and having new larger ones fabricated in. I have the upper plenum flange as a DXF and made prototype pieces before for press in and weld alloy tube runners.

First we will test the COME V6 manifold in stock form as a baseline.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

I’ve got to take the butterfly’s out and take them into work as some dick head has put a 5-6mm hole in each of them, obviously couldn’t get it to idle lol and the idle screw is on bare minimum with no blade opened lol
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

You going to make new ones?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Interesting you say that about the LIM runners. Many moons ago I had looked at buying alloy spun trumpets and boring them into the plenum/LIM at angles to better match the LIM runner going into the head kinda like the GRP A V8 manifold unfortunately I don't have the gear on hand to perform such machining functions and I've not had an ecotec to make the expense worthwhile for testing either.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the COME V8 mani with the lid removed, I'd like to see what the inside of the TB looks like and how horrible the turn into the front runners is.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

trumpets can't be angled in the ecotec. For straight short trumpets just get a buick and be done, since that what they have stock, truly an awesome manifold.

Turns don't matter much inside the plenum, since that's the plenums job, to have air capacity from where the induction wave action can take place. Like a bucket that has a hole, you fill the bucket and the flow inside the bucket had little effect on the water coming out of the hole since the velocity in the bucket is minuscule compared to the flow out the hole, that is what the plenum basically does. Hold a volume of air at a higher density/low velocity that each cylinder can take gulps of. One of the primary function it for air to slow down to a crawl and build density, flow direction almost becomes a non factor since the induction waves rips a volume of air in up around the speed of sound.
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

vlad01 wrote:You going to make new ones?
Nah, just braze them up
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I've tuned 2 V8's with this intake. Both had SLIGHTLY darker plugs in the rear cylinders. Both were worked strokers.

One is in the 12P custom tune thread VK355.
Great intakes and work very well. No tuning issue's I came across were intake related. But they'd be best suited to a worked stroker in my opinion so maybe that's why I had a good run.