VP V6 Calais

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Comcal76

Re: VP V6 Calais

Post by Comcal76 »

I went to go out last night but my transmission didn't want to play nice, it would slam reverse and drive and would not change out of first I checked for fault codes and there is none, I'm thinking the T.V valve is stuck and is causing high pressure has anybody had similar issues thanks.
Last edited by Comcal76 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It's wont have codes, it's basically entirely mechanical.

Hate to say it, it's dead. That's exactly how my last one failed. No up shifts and slammed gears and there was some ticking noise also coming from the box, something broke in it.

I was able to get temporarily around the issue so I could at least drive it by disconnecting the throttle valve cable (kick down cable) pushing the cable back in as far as I could and leaving it off and then using the auto as a manual.

I have never had a 4l60 last anymore than about 180k. 100% failure rate over some 6 autos over the years. They are shite!

Time for a conversion I reckon.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Check the governor under the round cover near the rear extension housing .its driven with a plastic cog that can strip and the weights can come apart it controls all the gearshifts vs road speed by spinning fast enough for the weights to swing out if its borked it will get stuck in 1st
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

But it's probably just eaten a sprag in the box if the drum snapped I think you lose all drive
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

Shit they are couldn't even handle 10psi for 300km with no hard launches, I knew it was going to happen sooner or later but I was hoping for later not sooner :lol: looks like I'm stuck driving my vs l67 ute for a while :sad2: thanks Vlad :thumbup:
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

delcowizzid wrote:Check the governor under the round cover near the rear extension housing .its driven with a plastic cog that can strip and the weights can come apart it controls all the gearshifts vs road speed by spinning fast enough for the weights to swing out if its borked it will get stuck in 1st
I will check that going to purchase a line pressure tester as well and see if it has high pressure these do run a pressure control solenoid right thanks delco.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

The tv cable does all pressure adjustment there is a boost valve in the pump via the pan that sets the pressure limit if you undo the tv cable and it doesn't pull out and return it could be stuck in the fully pulled position and will be full pressure and shift late at part throttle .it may not be high pressure could just be the slack in a sprag taking up when you shift into gear .
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

So I went out warmed up the car then I disconnected the TV cable and pulled on it a few times while it was running and I could here it working so I reset the adjustment as discribe in the book, it's not slamming in gear anymore so I took it for a drive and it's working that's strange
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Comcal76 wrote:So I went out warmed up the car then I disconnected the TV cable and pulled on it a few times while it was running and I could here it working so I reset the adjustment as discribe in the book, it's not slamming in gear anymore so I took it for a drive and it's working that's strange

I had the same thing. worked for a bit after pumping the cable in and out few times and then go back to shit not long after. The longest I got it to work was about half a day.

Still at least I could drive it in the mean time. None of the previous VP autos I had could drive at all, they acted like they were in N
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Was probably stuck