Ants SR20DET '75 Gemini track car

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: Ants SR20DET '75 Gemini track car

Post by Holden202T »

yeah its a hard one to say for sure, but definately driving harder will mean your pushing the fuel around in the tank more, plus if the pump is failing thats only going to make it all worse.

you can get fuel cells that are narrower and higher, which will make the level higher rather than a big flat tank, so then less surge issues on corners, and also pickup in the rear means they are sucking hard under acceleration....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321858203488

i use one of these to feed my surge tank with methanol, but i don't do multiple WOT runs one after the other so im not sure how much it would take to drain the surge with this one feeding it.

failing that you might look at getting an efi pump to feed the surge, but its probably a bit overkill.
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

My personal opinion is that an efi pump is not the answer. Only reason I say that is that they are designed for pressure and to always have fuel in them. If you use one as a lift pump and they are not below the fuel line, hard cornering/acceleration, they will run dry and it's not great for them. A high volume, low pressure pump is what you want to feed your surge tank and then an efi pump to feed from the surge to the engine. I know heaps of people do it that way with an EFI pump for the lift, but it's not really the correct thing.

A carter lift is only just over $200, and they are great quality.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

This pic is from when I mounted the dash guage in the boot (needed it to handle the 8v power supply from the in tank level meter!). It shows the current surge tank. The only issues are leaks from the old factory tank and a failing old factory pump.
fuel_gauge.jpg
fuel_gauge.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 6346 times
So new tank and low pressure pump to feed the surge and it should be fine. This is the one my mate has recently installed in his track car, and im thinking along the same lines. Im not sure what pump yet, but im thinking something low pressure.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151338971010
tank.jpg
tank.jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 6345 times
The current EFI pump was in the car when I bought it. Its unlabelled but the description is "500HP MERCEDES BENZ FUEL PUMP". I believe this one is still working fine.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I agree with tdracer about the use of an efi pump as a lift pump. Not a great idea.

This is what we use in the speedway cars - http://bangshift.com/general-news/new-p ... r-install/

Its lighter, less parts/connections to go wrong, is e85 friendly, etc...

If you wanted to save some dollars you could graft a VT commodore intank unit into your fuel cell or gemini tank. Speaking of which, have you considered the weight distribution changes that will happen if you move you tank position? The Gemini tank is in the 'ideal' position from factory for vehicle balance, moving the tank futher back and lower will alter the vehicle dynamic. Would be good to have some scales to guage the difference prior to making the change...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

It was dry on the weekend and I had time so I got in to installing the new tank. I made up a frame that spans the chassis rails, and relocated the battery to the opposite side of the boot away from the fuel line boot entry. I picked a battery tray from the wreckers (mitsubishi starwagon :lol: ). Ive ordered a filter, some fittings and some hose to finish this off hopefully in the next few weeks.

Ive also re-routed the engine breather pipes in the engine bay. After analysing the flow diagram and learning that there is an oil separator under the rocker cover ive plumbed it so the expected blowby in the the sump is fed back in to the top of the engine where it passes through the oil separator before coming out the other side to the catch can. Hopefully thats oil problem solved but that'll be hard to test before driving it in anger.
Attachments
20160619_151537_s.jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

sound logic
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

That is the cell I'm looking at. Looks like it fits nicely. 8-)
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

looks good man, whats that 30-40ltrs ?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah 40L. Ive also ordered one of those cheap HRDZ fuel guages http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281968115502
I expect it'll not have any kind of level averaging for tank slosh and so will bounce around all over the place as the fuel moves, but its a big price jump to proper gauges and that might be enough. Ive seen reports that the leds are too bright on an older model which had a clear screen but that one seems tinted blue so perhaps they've done that on purpose to take the edge off it.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if nothing else you'll get a fair idea where its at in the pits before or after a run, easy enough to work out just by looking in the filler cap now too in that location.

i just have a piece of wood i stick in the hole, i have marked it at 10 and 20 litre marks, thats enough for me :D