1934 Chevrolet Tudor

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
34EV1L
cars: 1934 Chev Tudor Street Rod - with Ecotec!!

1934 Chevrolet Tudor

Post by 34EV1L »

Hi Everyone!

Recently joined up and doing a heap of reading. I own a 34 Chev Street Rod built about 2009. I didn't do the build but from what I can work out, has the following gear installed:
- Ecotec V6 from a VX Commodre
- 808 ECM with stock memcal (from VN)
- T700 4L60 with shift kit (from VN)
- Air Con (from VN)
- VS Drivers side manifold
- VN Passenger side manifold
- VN MAT Sensor
- VX Coolant Temp Sensor - possibly disconnected and a separate temp sensor in the radiator controls the thermo fan

I'm not 100% sure as this is my first non V8 and non carb toy. I'll add some phots below so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong of if there are any other critical items I need to identify before planning the NVRAM install and tune.

The rig currently runs very smooth and reliable but does use a ton of fuel and pings pretty bad under hard accelleration and big hills so assuming it could be too much timing in the stock VN tune.

My aim isn't to break speed records or big HP. Just want it running efficiently as it can while staying 100% reliable.

Looking forward to picking some brains and learning some new skills.

Cheers,
Mark

Holden202T

Re: 1934 Chevrolet Tudor

Post by Holden202T »

firstly, nice looking rod! its rare to see anything other than a V8 in these things!

ok a few things.....

* the VN tune will not work real well on the ecotec, im just trying to remember, but from memory it had too much timing down low and not enough fuel up high. There is a tune i made in the custom tunes section for an ecotec running on a VN computer.
* the coolant sensor is the ecotec unit (4th picture you posted above) you need to replace it with a VN-VR sensor and plug, that wont be helping the running either.

if your planning an NVRAM install then i'd suggest starting with the tune i mentioned in it as a starting point!
34EV1L

Post by 34EV1L »

Thanks mate! It's good to be different.

I've been doing a ton of research over the site and slowly starting to get my head around it.

You're right, there is way too much timing that I can feel and it leans out at high revs. I'm keeping it under 3000RPM and no WOT at the moment for this reason.

Great!, so I'll order the NVRAM and ECM USB plus swap the coolant sensor.

Is it this correct tune?
File Name: $12P-V1.12-Ecotec-808.
Code Version: $12P V1.12

One final question - Because its not a daily and I'm running airbag compressors etc, I have a battery kill switch that isolates everything including the ECM during the week when I'm not driving it. Is this best practice with custom tunes or should there be an uninterrupted 12V supply to the ECM? Do these units self learn? Will this effect the life of the NVRAM battery?

Thanks again :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep thats the right tune for it!

theres no issue with removing power from the ECU, i do the same thing with my race car.

the only thing you really loose is any learnt fuel trims or idle settings etc .... but if you get the tune right then that stuff doesnt really matter too much.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I saw an old 30s hot rod build with a VR v6 in it at the Clunes car show a few years ago. These car/engine combos are more common than you'd think.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
34EV1L

Post by 34EV1L »

OK, NVRAM and USB Comms ordered

Also ordered brand new VN Coolant Temp Sensor, Connector and 3/8 NTP to M12 x 1.5 adapter from efihardware.com

The car is also getting a new radiator made so hope to have it all back together and start playing in the next couple of weeks.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Nice one. That's cool you can get the adapters now, when I was looking to run an ecotec on a 808 I had to get a machine shop to custom make me a coolant sensor adapter 10 years ago.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
34EV1L

Post by 34EV1L »

vlad01 wrote:Nice one. That's cool you can get the adapters now, when I was looking to run an ecotec on a 808 I had to get a machine shop to custom make me a coolant sensor adapter 10 years ago.
Yeah I just fluked the adapter looking for a genuine Bosch sensor online. Spoke to one of the Techs and was really helpful. Will add a photo once its all installed.
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Post by Macca97 »

we've got our 38 bedford pickup powered by a v6 aswell, alot more common than you think
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
34EV1L

Post by 34EV1L »

Coolant temp sensor swapped. All parts fit fine so recommend efihardware if you need to do the same.

NVRAM arrived in the post. :)

Hope to have the radiator completed and back in the shed soon.