antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: 1934 Chevrolet Tudor

Post by antus »

The simulated narrowbands dont tend to work well. There is a bung in that kit so you can install it near the other sensor. Alternatively you could leave the narrowband disconnected, see which error code (DTC) it is, set the flag to not process it and not set the check engine light, then do your tuning. Once your happy with the tune then swap back to the narrow band and change the flags back so its operational again. since were talking tuning vs finished I'll also just mention that its a good idea to keep a copy of your final bin read with oseflashtool get bin so that you have it if something happens to your nvram board later (even if its just it goes flat in 8 years). and its a good idea to put the good tune on a factory style memcal. That is another can of worms, and just food for thought for now.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

There is a flag to force open loop, so no need to disable error codes.

In my experience simulated NB on the spartan kits have worked great for me. I left my WB with simulated NB installed permanently after I was done tuning.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
34EV1L
cars: 1934 Chev Tudor Street Rod - with Ecotec!!

Post by 34EV1L »

Thanks gents! I'm running vintage guages so no fault lights visible for me. I'm sure there are already a heap of faults to clear currently that I probably should disable.

Yes, the plan is to tune it once and never touch it again so the ultimate goal would be to have it burnt onto an eeprom. I'm so far from that stage though :study:

I see the Spartan 3 Lite is coming out later this month so think I will go that way as I can purchase it locally in Brisbane from JRP.

Once I get that wired and fitted, do some more reading, logs and hopefully get into some tuning. Still seems so far away but appreciate all the help and answers to my questions so far.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Even for old classics its generally worth having an old school incandescent red light between the check engine light circuit and ground. Then when you have it running right it'll just stay off, but if the ecu sees a problem you'll get some feedback for it before it turns in to a bigger problem.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Tune it once then never play again. After you get over the initial frustration and realise how little you know I'll tell you you'll enjoy it so much you'll continue playing having lots of fun as your knowledge increases.
I started about 10 years ago and still play around with the same car/tune whenever I get spare time.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I agree. I have been doing it since 2011 and I am still playing around with tunes today. I recently revisited my shitbox one and made a new one based on my VR one I dyno tuned a few years ago with some of the other tweaks I have learned over the years. Well actually I made the tune for the new white VP but testing it in the shitbox. Didn't make it go any quicker or change economy if at all but sure did improve the low speed drivability. It actually coasts nicely in 1st below 20Ks instead of bucking like crazy, even with RDSC off which normally makes them buck and hard to drive at low speed. So I was able to have my cake and eat it after all.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.