Blown V6

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Blown V6

Post by immortality »

At the end of the day the weakest link in the drive train is going to fail, I'd rather replace a clutch than a transmission. A race spec clutch that doesn't allow any slip is going to shock load the transmission and lead to early failure.
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

Was looking for receipts but didn't find. Might have been smaller, but more clamp force pressure plate setup. Remember the clutch was softer than a Hyundai Excel!

I had several types including expensive multiple plates etc and this setup worked best of all. Remember it was same clutch plate as another car (the Sachs part number for that car was on receipt, might have been a FORD :cry: ). Clutch Factory in Perth swore by it. They both retired and the business closed several years ago. I run 11s in the Torry and never broke any parts after that. Was never nice to them and regularly launched hard like this Datto beast.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:At the end of the day the weakest link in the drive train is going to fail, I'd rather replace a clutch than a transmission. A race spec clutch that doesn't allow any slip is going to shock load the transmission and lead to early failure.

Depends on the material and type of disk(plate) that is used. You can have multi plate clutches with more convention materials to give a better that OEM operation and feel and not break stuff as of result.

In my VP I have a cushion button ceramic clutch. Heaps of bite but can be operated smooth like OEM, lighter than usual pressure plate and pedal feel. Its seriously one of the lightest and smoothest and poppy pedal feels I have yet come by.

Down side is wear rate being faster than organic but a non issue for me as its not driven more than a handful of times a year.

The weakest link in my experience has always been tyres :lol: and somewhat standard V8 clutches on a V6, heavy duty street performance organic v8 clutch is about the minimum a stock but tuned v6 requires. Tried the XR6 clutch route before, fail :thumbdown: slips out of the box.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I think that the box was suitable to something like 600ft/lbs & the car is only 890kg with the driver. The T5 has an overdrive that won't be used, so a T56 with 2 overdrives was always going to be a waste, it's a drag car, so uses 3 gears on the 1/8th & 4 on the 1/4. The yanks are using T5's in the Mustangs so should be able to make it last behind a 1200 Datsun coupe. One thing that was recommended by Mal Wood was to fit an oil pump & cooler for the box which is what is used for these box's for circuit racing. The clutch is an organic at the moment, so that will be the "weak link", although he hasn't actually broken a T5 previously, was only that they wouldn't shift or broken selector hub's from over shifting worn out 300,000 klm gearbox's.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
immortality

Post by immortality »

Get a short shifter that has the shift plates fitted to prevent over shifting.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

The short shifter we had just killed shift forks only had 1 bolt to adjust 1 3 and 5 and one to adjust 2 4 r .too much torque in 3rd would just tear the teeth off 3rd never broke any drag racing but killed a few shift forks .
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

There is no such thing as over shifting on a T5 as the detent plate in the extension housing blocks over travel. The only way its possible is if the peg on the shift lower leveler (the forged block thing on the shift shaft) has broken off or severely worn allowing over travel. There is more free travel in the shift forks and syncro hubs than this level and plate allows and quite a lot, about 2-3mm worth.

Forks break usually due to aggressive fast shifts as the blocking rings or what ever they are called in the syncros add resistance to the shift before the speeds are synchronized, this takes time and the faster you shift the harder the momentary resistance. Alloy has poor fatigue life so naturally, bend it too much and it snaps.

The actually usefulness of shift stops on the shifter is preventing wear and tear on the detent plate and level and potentially (though never heard or seen it) breaking the peg off it.

Over shift is a thing on some trans but definitely not on the T5 unless it already has above mentioned issues.

Still a short shifter is a nice upgrade, for shift quality and reduction of wear on 5th syncro teeth as it reduced the shifter boot's leverage on the shifter, preventing the boot from pulling partly out of 5th slightly while running and other gears. An issue I have during cold weather on my VR as the boot it stiff and sometimes yanks the gear out while driving. A short shifer will work around this issue when I get around to installing one.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Never had a T5 pop out of 5th.

When you pull to hard on the shifter you can feel it in the transmission and the feedback through the shifter, with the shift plates set you don't get this. I abused my old T5 for years, it's showing signs of wear and tear when you change the fluid but it still shifts fine. Back in the early days with the stock shifter and then the Billet short shifter it must have done the equivalent of more that 50 passes etc as well as the general use and abuse on the street including flat shifting etc.

The stock shifter is a POS and terrible for the 2-3 shift, with the short shifter fitted it was no longer an issue, just a much more overall improved driving experience.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah I only have the issue with stock shifer and later spec genuine boots as they are a harder PVC rubber (same specs as console lid or horn pad PVC) and limits the moment of the shifter, so gears like 1st and 5th tend to want to pull out. In fact with the car off and sitting it won't stay in gear as the boot is too hard and pulls it out. This is because 1, its cold in vic 8 months of the year 2. stock shifer allows great leverage operator side of the joint. So little effort to pull on a gear. A short shifter will fix it 2 ways, reduce the leverage operator side, reduce the outright travel so the shifter doesn't get into the boot binding position in the first place. The older genuine boots are made from that jelly like soft PCV and don't give you the problem, its the genuine replacement boots where they changed the PCV grade to be more durable at the cost of flexibility.

The give/feed is more noticeable on a stock shifter due to its leverage, smaller movements box side of the joint are amplified operator side. The stop plates on a aftermarket shifter block this movement before it gets to the operator and not much else, hence the better feeling.

Interestingly I filled my nephews shifter with solid resin as the rubber was falling apart inside the lever. Its stock otherwise. The throw is still big but holy shit its a hard positive clunk when you throw it. You can feel the solid hard stop of the peg on the detent plate, it feels way more solid than a short shifter for sure. Shifts feel like a sequential dog box if I was to describe it in comparison to something.

Personally I never had issues with any of my T5 that caused any noticeable major problems. My current box before I rebuilt it had 600k on it and it was from an ex skid car and I gave it another 2-300k of pure hell.

Only issues I found was a broken 3-4 key retaining spring. Slightly rounded 1st syncro teeth and reverse teeth also.
Chipped oil hole on the input bearing pocket, one chipped 4th syncro tooth, the half cut one, thin as a razor blade anyway.

The slight trouble I had was 3-4 crunch when the box wasn't fully warmed up, but those teeth and rings were perfect, literally like brand new. I think the rings were just glazed a little from the 100s or 1000s of flat 100ms gear changes I did over the years on regular gear oil. My VR box was about 190k and also was in great shape.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Fuck, all this talk about T5's is giving me a hankering to get one and abuse it....