Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Re: Blown V6

Post by gtrboyy »

Surprised it's still got 3rd gear.

Remember as a kid would see white sr20 version of this racing all the time.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

3rd will be fine, its not heavy like a ford which is common for them to blow 3rd. gearboxes capacity is a 3 part formula. torque and vehicle weight and final drive ratio, oh and could thrown in tyres too. 2 main factors is torque and weight.

Thats why for an example suby swapped reversed 5 speed boxes in vw bugs can push to 1000hp through what is well known as a weak box, bug is only 700-850 odd kg where the wrx is 1400-1500kg
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Back in the 90's it was very common to blow 3rd out the box in 5 litre vk or vn...most ended up with toploaders or an auto.
(Many t5's survived after nsw car confiscation law came in obviously)

That L67 in it now should have some decent torque.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah but the car is light and 3.9 diff, will be fine. I know of a VH with a heavily worked L67 and T5, been a daily flogged for a number of years now.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

The vb used to kill 3rd at 300rwkw but only if we accidently tapped the limiter didn't like the 300kw hammer lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9D9v4gI2xU[/youtube]
Never blew third drag racing but did smash 2 or 3 shift forks lol handled many 11.7 second runs even giving 5th gear the full 300rwkw lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

gtrboyy wrote:Back in the 90's it was very common to blow 3rd out the box in 5 litre vk or vn...most ended up with toploaders or an auto.
(Many t5's survived after nsw car confiscation law came in obviously)

That L67 in it now should have some decent torque.
The torque was 811NM/568ftpounds.
Lucky the car only weighs 890kg with driver.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

5th will never have issues, its the biggest and beefiest gear of all of them, closely followed by 1st. Of course 4th is strongest, but its not a gear at all, its direct input to output coupling.

Only issues seen on 5th is the syncro teeth wear out prematurely but normally doesn't cause any symptoms. I think its caused by 5th's high use of cruise conditions which is where a lot of chattering happens on throttle variation. So the syncro teeth as constantly lashing back and forth.

3rd has pretty long and thin teeth and the fact the stock T5 has a shitty counter retaining plate the gears are allowed to push apart some and with 3rd the teeth are thin on the tips and that is likely where the failure occurs.

Interesting point is the input shaft to counter shaft has pretty much the identical tooth profile as 3rd, yet they virtually never fail, so the issue must be with gear movement under load.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

I've seen a few t5s fail input shaft to counter shaft but like you said it mainly due to that poxy counter shaft bearing retainer the shaft looses preload drops down and the countershaft input shaft make almost direct tooth to tooth contact. Most of these were all 5L or bigger
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

Nice result! What's the full specs of the cam? Are you running an intercooler or e85?