Blown V6

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
v6bucket

Re: Blown V6

Post by v6bucket »

I haven't measured the springs, but I'd say that the springs are soft & have been bouncing, which is probably normal for an engine with possibly 300000+kms. He runs the car at 6000rpm in 3rd gear in the burnout & shifts at 6500rpm.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah wouldn't take much, I've seen hammered collet grooves from that sort of stuff, sounds like his has just gone a bit past that point!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

geez 6500 is a bit harsh for a stock 300k engine. no wonder.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

The block has been freshened with rings bearings etc. but the heads were untouched, just cleaned then fitted.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

We've made some changes to the Dato, it's now fitted with an L76 Ecotec, that will be tuned in the next couple of weeks, I'll go into the details at a later stage. We are using a 12P tune, so no MAF etc. I believe that the IAT sensor is fitted in the intake tract before the throttle body, is this correct? The S2 Buick is fitted in the right/rear manifold runner just above the injector. What changes to the tune will I have to make, eg. Temp compensation etc., as the motor is together removing the manifold to drill another hole isn't an option as it's sealed up with Cometic gaskets.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Your going to need to order more gaskets. The IAT is not suitable on a MAP ECU, it needs MAT in a runner like factory or at the very least (but far from ideal) somewhere in the manifold.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Bugger, that's not the answer that I wanted. I didn't screw the engine together, there was a delay with the delivery of the conrods & I wasn't available for a few weeks.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

The aluminium shim intake gaskets are reusable
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

delcowizzid wrote:The aluminium shim intake gaskets are reusable
They used some type of sealer around the coolant ports, so they may be u/s when they come off. I'll see if I can talk to them as to what was used.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the Dato has had an engine change. It was going to have an M90 attached to the top, but by the time we made a manifold etc. it was decided to track down a complete L67. So it received a set of Spool rods, forged Ross pistons, balance shaft removed, double row timing chain, the heads were cleaned up, blower ported & fitted with a 2.4" pulley & a 248° blower cam. I done some tuning on Friday in the driveway but ran into some trouble with the manifold temps being very high due to the speed at which the blower is turning even with 2 extra injectors fitted between the throttle body & the blower, so it tends to be a bit rich at idle. So Saturday we it was put on the dyno to run the motor in, then some tuning in the rest on the rev range followed by some power runs which surprised both the owner & myself with the torque figures.
Dato Dyno Ecotec (450 x 600).jpg
Dato Dyno Ecotec (450 x 600).jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
The car has had a bit of a colour change as well.
The Dato (600 x 337).jpg
The Dato (600 x 337).jpg (70.33 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
Next test will be the 6 Banger Nats at Warwick next weekend.