Datsun 240z with L20ET

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
neRok

Re: Datsun 240z with L20ET

Post by neRok »

are you worried about the notches in the pulley unbalancing the whole deal?

the fuel pump isnt something ive considered yet. my 260z has a mech pump on its l28 and i doubt there is any in-tank provision, so what are you doing?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

@holden202, yeah I agree. Im a little worried, but the thinner bit is pretty solid. Ive pushed it around it doesnt move and is quite stiff and I think it'll be ok for the weight thats on it. My mate wants to bolt the two pieces together, but after thinking about it some more, I think welding would be more solid. Might take your advice and see if I can re-enforce it somehow, or make re-make the thin part with some metal similar to the fat part (the end of a bellett leaf spring!)

@neRok, We wrecked a 280z the other week (whole car, minus engine, with an auto trans, rusty - freebie with the engine!) and will be using the efi pump off it. Under the grime at the back of the 240 we found the factory mount points for pump and mounts from the 280 (despite this model being carby in this market), and it bolted straight on. Since were trying to build it by next wednesday (not looking good, have pretty much 1 day to finish it from here!) were going to let the efi pump pick up from the fuel tank, but the first round of improvements will be to install a 2nd low pressure pump to pickup and feed a surge tank, and the efi one can take it from there.

Im not worried about the notches. The 60 degree notches will offset each other exactly, so the only one that will unbalance it will be the 10 degree cyl 1 reference notch. But its so small, and ive seen pleanty of conversions done like this that im not worried. If you were worried you could cut a tiny bit out opposite the 10 degree notch to balance it that is somewhere the sensor wont see.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

baby cooler :mrgreen: you may want to mount the map sensor up the right way and above its connection or it will fill with liquid petrol from the fumes :mrgreen:
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

We'll just bolt the VN TB straight on, now :punk:

This is the test fit unit, no TPS haha.
Attachments
18022011454.jpg
18022011454.jpg (157.94 KiB) Viewed 6580 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

easy fixed!
neRok

Post by neRok »

do you guys know if a falcon throttle body has the right sensors etc to work with the delco ecm? i havent got a factory efi manifold yet, but doing some reading i hear they are a major restriction (obviously boost will overcome this somewhat). so i was considering the options, and i could get a 4 barrel manifold, have it drilled for injectors, and then a wilson throttle body elbow topped of with the ford throttle body, which i presume would be similar to the falcon? or i could get one of them 4 barrel throttle bodies, but the $ start adding up then.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

XF tps will work but you wont have an IAC hole
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Today update.. after 2 days work:

We had some trouble with the TB adaptor. There was not enough room on the manifold to get nuts behind all the holes on the manifold side, so we removed the studs and drilled out the holes, and counter sunk the heads on the original bolts. Took a bit of stuffing around but got it tightly sealed and installed.
L20_to_VN_TB_adaptor.jpg
L20_to_VN_TB_adaptor.jpg (153.43 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
We got the engine lined up to TDC #1 and held the pick up in the right spot and marked the balancer for exactly where TDC #1 should be marked. Then we got the balancer marked out from a scaled print out of a diagram from the 'delco dis on non dis engine' thread (thanks apples!) https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =128#p1022 . After comparing the megasquirt diagram and this one we noted that one was back view and one was front view. So we checked the enigne balancer rotation (clockwise), considered were marking up the rear of the balancer so it was reversed and used a metal ruler and scribe to get the markings in the right places.
balancer_marked_up.jpg
balancer_marked_up.jpg (100.83 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
Then we hit it with a grinder and dilled a single hole opposite the 10 degree notch to keep is reasonably well balanced and ended up with this:
balancer_final_product.jpg
balancer_final_product.jpg (127.89 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
Then welded the arm in place and had our position sensing built:
position_pickup.jpg
position_pickup.jpg (161.13 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
Then got the coil packs mounted, compared the firing order of the L20 and the GM from which the packs came from, and hooked it all up. Plumbed in the intercooler, replaced the fuel hose on the original low impedance injectors, installed them, installed the kalmaker low impedance driver, pretty much got the whole thing hooked up except the fuel lines, and the accelerator cable.
progress.jpg
progress.jpg (155.17 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
Then, installed a realtime '808 fired up tunerpro and keyed on. The fuel relays clicked, nothing let the smoke out. We did find one small wiring issue which was quickly sorted, but could see TPS was fine, and so was CLT and MAT. So then we cranked it (no fuel) to check the position sense.
We read 375rpm of crank speed, and we had spark! And the injectors were clicking! :thumbup: :punk:
it_works.jpg
it_works.jpg (202.32 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
So, little bits and pieces to do, but its all looking pretty good! Damn happy with that :D
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

nice work guys! looks like there still might be a chance this thing will be running before the track day!

oh and looking at that picture, im dead set sure the ecotec accelerator cable will be long enough!
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

That is some huge progress!! The DIS setup is working out very well :driving: