VR Caprice BCM Key Pin

vn_luke

VR Caprice BCM Key Pin

Post by vn_luke »

I have a car fitted with VR caprice BCM (integrated theft module). The standard ECU has been replaced with an after-market unit.

Unfortunately, during the last few years of building the car, I've managed to lose the only key I had with the remote keyhead on it.

I've got my hands on a tool that locksmiths use to be able to get the 6 digit pin code off the BCM to program another key, unfortunately it establish a connection. I read somewhere on these forums that the BCM, SRS and ABS modules are "slaves" on a serial bus, with the ECU being the master. Is this the case?

- Does anyone have info on this bus and/or a wiring diagram for VR caprice BCM/ECU/diagnostics connector?
- Any ideas on how to extract the pin code?

I guess the fallback is to just buy another BCM with key...
Jayme

Re: VR Caprice BCM Key Pin

Post by Jayme »

im sure someone else will reply with a better answer, but my suggesiton is to hook up the serial data line from the BCM to a VR v6 auto pcm's serial data line, run a VR v6 memcal- the auto pcms and memcals are a dime a dozen. Power it up with just an earth and the two powers, then see if the tool works.
BPJ
cars: Toyota Hilux

Post by BPJ »

What tool is it that you are using?

If the BCM in the car is the original one, call Holden as they have the 6 digit security number, take this to a locksmith and they can code a key for you. Failing that do you know anyone else with a Vr which you can put your BCM into to read the security number?
TTVN
cars: TT 355 VN, Rearmount turbo 355 vp, cammed 355 hj60 landcruiser, vx clubby n efilive VZ ls1 wagon

Post by TTVN »

shouldnt a caprice have a Hi level or lux level bcm and b using external TDM?????
The1

Post by The1 »

VR Caprice should have the highest level BCM, on vs this is 149 LUX i think is the same with VR.

The factory and some aftermarket scantools will not pass into the menu if they can not communicate with all modules.

For the factory Tech1a scantool you can hold down the NO button while booting to bypass the check.

If using a Tech1a you can also program a key without the security code by using the additional key function.

Also let us know what area you are in, maybe someone here is close and can help.
engybenjy
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop

Post by engybenjy »

Hey I have a Modis scan tool and have tried a couple of times and it can't work unless you have one key that is working, you cant even retrieve the id codes and give them to Holden to get the key code, I have tried a couple of times and I do the local dealers key coding. I did one today and was lucky this guy manged to get his key to work long enough to do the code second key function. In short if you don't have a key that works you have to buy a BCM. The other thing that you can do is leave the ignition key on for 45 minutes and the car will start..
Cheers
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

THE1 had mentioned previously to me leaving the bcm powered up for 2 hours may disable needing a key he may confirm & I'm hoping that's possible on later bcm's too!
engybenjy
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop

Post by engybenjy »

ok sounds interesting, also a friend of mine did a conversion and basically they just left the ignition on or supplied 12 volts to where ever and managed to dodge it up that way but the battery would go flat if left for a couple of weeks..
BPJ
cars: Toyota Hilux

Post by BPJ »

engybenjy, there are scan tools that can read the BCM without a key, I have one for work but it is a Locksmith only tool. The only thing that is has issues with is a VXS2 when in alarm, but there are ways around that.

For Pre VT I think that it is 45 minutes on then you can start the car and VX up is 2 hours, I haven't had to do it before though so someone else might be able to confirm.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thanks for the update BPJ(haven't heard from you in a while) but that sounds promising!
I can't confirm but will try when I get on top of things!

How do you know when there in alarm mode?