autometer wideband, any good?

Toohey86
cars: Vl 355 calais

autometer wideband, any good?

Post by Toohey86 »

Hi Guys,
I am relatively new to this site and am getting ready to start tuning using a VL400 RT ecu. I have been trying to do a bit of research into what the best widebands are to buy and have found an autometer one that looks ok for a reasonable price. The model number is 4379. It uses a bosch sensor i think and come with wiring harness.

Has anyone had any experience using this wideband? I am long leaning towards autometer because i have a set of 6 autometer pro comp gauges what i am using for my cluster so would like them all to match. The only think that i this unit can’t do that i would like is to be able to change to suit different fuels (i am currently running dual fuel but will eventually be just running lpg injection).

Any help would be appreciated.
Holden202T

Re: autometer wideband, any good?

Post by Holden202T »

if your going that way get the 4378 version! it looks the same other than below.

Notes:
LED digital display.
0-4v data output feed for ECU, data acquisition unit, or Laptop tuning
Auto-Dimming gauge brightness feature
Includes custom tuned .1 AFR Resolution Bosch LSU4.2 Sensor
Display data in Lambda or numerical A/F ratio
User programmable range
Peak recall/memory
10:1 to 20:1 AFR Range for Gasoline Applications
Adjustable for Alternate Fuel Types (Ethanol, Methanol, Propane, CNG)
6:1 to 18:1 AFR Range for Alternate Fuel Types

User Programmable Warning Function
This product has no provision for dial illumination/backlighting.
Instrument features brushed aluminum dial in silver finish with matching silver anodized bezel.
Includes 8 ft. Wiring Harness.
Toohey86

Post by Toohey86 »

Thanks for the fast response Holden202T.

I did look at the 4378 but $400 was the cheapest i could get that for as opposed to the 4379 which was around $250. I cant really justify the extra $150 just so it can be set to a different fuel and a slightly larger range if both gauges are as accurate as each other.

Do you know of any other brands that can be set for alternate fuels for around the $250 mark?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I personally use the innovate MTX-L and got it from here http://www.kadespeedandmarine.com.au/Au ... arine.html

pretty sure you'll get it for under $250 from memory ... its the one pictured halfway down the page.
Toohey86

Post by Toohey86 »

The MTX-L does seem to be a popular unit on here. Also recommended by VL400 in our discussions. I didnt know it was compatable with other fuels though which is good and at around $200 i think i have made my mind up. I will take your advice and order one now!

Thanks for the help.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I can tell you from personal experience it can be set for methanol e85, petrol, and lpg (haven't used LPG but know its in the config)

pretty much any gauge should be able to do it ... they all work in lambda and just convert ie. lambda 1 x 14.7 = 14.7 ... .87 x 14.7 = 12.79 ... etc etc ...