Fuel economy and spark plug gaps

v6bucket

Re: Fuel economy and spark plug gaps

Post by v6bucket »

Holden202T wrote:I was under the impression the end of the ceramic is more cruisy ranges and right in the plug at the top of the ceramic is where you'll find WOT readings .... and you usually need a torch or good light for this!

as for the brown, im not sure that's from additives, I get the same results with methanol ?!?!
If you use an additive in the methanol it gives a tan colour on the insulator, raw methanol should be a clean insulator like new out of the box but not as shiny.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I never use additives!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

seems I found my issue. yep bloody bosch plugs once again.

The heat range was way out after speaking to my local mechanic about it. I forgot that I even had the bosch ones in there, I was testing something and must of forgot to put GM ones back.

dont mind the eroded electrodes, these are 2nd plugs which have likely 200k on them lol. but strap discoloration is to the bend and dry clean. no speckley deposits.

install some brand spaking new GM ones just before :thumbup: lol comparison showed 1/3 of the electrode gone in the old ones.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Different plug manufacturers use different numbers to show the heat range. NGK the larger the number the colder the plug but some other manufacturers are the opposite.

I've mostly used NGK and the odd set of champion plugs.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I had that with bosch once. I ran there's in a V8. For example NGK heat 6 was BOSCH heat 7 i think. One of the big manufacturers has a comparison chart.
I ran the Bosch super 4's in a 5 litre and they were fantastic. That engine used to kill a normal set in 1 tank it was that badly tuned. I got a long time out of the 4's.
Way before i knew about tuning, and that was after a pro dyno tuned it. Idle must of been aroun 10:1 AFR.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Pink additives? :lol:
Plug 1.jpg
Plug 1.jpg (104.85 KiB) Viewed 6367 times

After fixing it, around 15k on these platinum plugs...
Plug 2.jpg
Plug 2.jpg (130.29 KiB) Viewed 6367 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

whats the pink coolant leak ?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

a lot of octane boosters makes them bright orange and you see it sneaking into gas at the pump now in some places around the globe
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

heres a couple from the Gemini, previously I was running NGK race plugs, basically a BPR6EFS but an 8, since going turbo I was fouling plugs more often so went to a BPR7EFS and its been much better.

this first one is the current plugs out of the Gemini, these are the plugs I had in it for my 10 second pass, and have been in it ever since (put them in that day at the track) and that was pure methanol, and recently I've had it running on E85 .... so might not be real accurate :) = .030 gap.
P1120491.JPG
P1120491.JPG (162.28 KiB) Viewed 6352 times
and this one is a new set of plugs I had when I was trying different gaps at the dyno I basically put these in after finishing tuning/testing and tested the larger plug gaps .... .050 roughly.
P1120492.JPG
P1120492.JPG (222.96 KiB) Viewed 6352 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

delcowizzid wrote:a lot of octane boosters makes them bright orange and you see it sneaking into gas at the pump now in some places around the globe

BP for one. 95 in particular.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.