VS V6 funny problem ?!?!

Doctor Bob
cars: VN, VT

Re: VS V6 funny problem ?!?!

Post by Doctor Bob »

the metal strip on the barrel is part of the key reader circuit
when the bcm sees ignition it activates the circuit, the remote needs to respond with a code that is known to the bcm & in the correct sequence rolling code.

the reason it starts after cycling the locks is due to the bcm seeing a valid rf signal.

sometimes they had a two or three second delay.

if the tdl is going out immediately the problem may be in the starter

Rob
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

Be interesting to see this cleared up i have seen several different level bcm modules low medium high
Does anyone know the specifics on levels
I remember a vr calais i disabled vats in the chip and i had to put my own earth to the starter relay or it wouldn't turn over
Yet if i do the same in my vt sc and take the keyhead off it still starts
Do different levels disable different things like i assume they all disable injector pulse but do some disable the starter earth or is that keyhead contact related
or does a different level have more to do with factory alarms and central locking etc
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

higher level bcms control things like cruise control and power windows and stuff like that .... not sure if they have different alarms etc in them.
Apples

Post by Apples »

When the vs commodore came out you could turn the key quicker than the BCM could read the key head.
Latter BCM they changed it a little start engine then confirm the key head code if wrong code kill engine.
this became the norm in latter models.
They also changed the immobilisers time out several time then deleted it in the last ones.
If you get a key head playing up a test we did at Holden was tune the key to start and hold and press the unlock button if it starts engine cranking then key head faulty or reader slip ring faulty or requires repositioning.
The early key heads you could change the battery but problems with corrosion and people dropping the key dislodging the battery was a problem.
The latter keys were sealed and the battery had tabs welded to it. but we found over time if the key got dropped a lot the battery tabs would brake and key become intermittent in operation.
Another test if key rattles its stuffed as battery broken away.
Hope this helps some people out there
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

its a shame the car has gone, i'd like to see what the problem was just for interests sake!!