How to loose 200kgs?....

Holden202T

Re: How to loose 200kgs?....

Post by Holden202T »

if Charlynn is what I think it is (never knew how it was spelt!), I've seen a lot of people in super sedans and late models use them but haven't heard of the issues your having, makes me wonder if there is something wrong in the system, like pump being driven too hard or something like that ?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yep, that's it, they have been used for ages in speedway and on forklifts :thumbup:

We certainly where over revving the stock pump, Its common knowledge that a larger pulley is required to slow the pump down, just didn't get it in time.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

i run a ts astra pump on my vl with the stock v8 rack with no dramas at all even when i am grabbing lots of wheel so to speak i wonder if your 1 might be a sad pump or just a mismatch for the power head.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yeah, I've heard of plenty of others using them with success on stock racks, I tried two pumps to be sure of that and no luck...
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Power steering overheating is a common enough problem on commodores. Not unusual to see a heat warped plastic PS fluid reservoir on a commodore that turns a few laps on the track. Stock pumps are geared to suit daily driver duties so a engine that is at the other end of the Rev range is going to be spinning the pump way to fast (as well as the alternator and possibly the water pump ) . Add to that wider wheels ,offsets and lots of camber and caster and steering loads will only increase. Really need to reduce pump speed and fluid cooler as a minimum. A increase in fluid capacity should increase how long it takes for the system to overheat which is a band aid solution for a short race but only delay the inevitable on a edurance race.
immortality

Post by immortality »

One way to increase fluid capacity is to use one of your hollow roll cage tubes in the engine bay like a hose to transfer fluid to the front of the car. Drill and tap fitting at either end etc. Will increase capacity and the steel tube should help to shed heat from the fluid as a bonus.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

What oil are you using in the power steer system?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

immortality wrote:One way to increase fluid capacity is to use one of your hollow roll cage tubes in the engine bay like a hose to transfer fluid to the front of the car. Drill and tap fitting at either end etc. Will increase capacity and the steel tube should help to shed heat from the fluid as a bonus.
Not a bad idea there :thumbup:
v6bucket wrote:What oil are you using in the power steer system?
Penrite PAS http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/p ... gLUyfD_BwE
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Have you thought of using Hydraulic oil HD68 etc, many Sprintcars use this as ATF was cooking in the system that they use, might be worth a try.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
immortality

Post by immortality »

68 is fairly heavy oil for a hydraulic system, why not try something 32 grade which would be a lot more similar to ATF.