Knock Box Talk

Yortt

Re: Knock Box Talk

Post by Yortt »

vlad01 wrote:It's not really about logging it, rather a to to verify what's real or what's false. On the dyno it's easy as logging isn't needed as your are tuning steady state real time.
How do you confirm that what is happening on the dyno is occuring under actual operating conditions on the road/track
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Because a dyno allows any condition to be reached plus ones that can't be on the road. You can get extreme loads as well not possible unless you tow a mountain up another mountain.

Other thing is you can drive on the road with knock ears.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

just came up with a great idea! 2 channel graphic EQ with pre-amp.

Something like this should work a treat.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUDIOPIPE-9- ... Sw14xWORVn
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

You can run a "fully sic subwoofer "off the knock ears. :lol: :lol:
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

or as I said on the last page... feed it in and out of your laptops sound card (which is already with you as you are tuning on the laptop anyways) and have a software based graphic equaliser for a fraction of the cost.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Jayme wrote:or as I said on the last page... feed it in and out of your laptops sound card (which is already with you as you are tuning on the laptop anyways) and have a software based graphic equaliser for a fraction of the cost.

Problem is most sound cards aren't capable of of proper audio processing for inputs let alone output, unless you have good old sound blaster from the 90s with win 98 or 2k.

Laptops have terrible sound cards to make matter worse.

Im my experience with PC based audio software, its nonfunctional at best. Quite often software can't actually control the card at hardware level rather guesstimates via emulation and results are crap.

I gave up on PC audio back when win xp came out all every top of the line card lost hardware level processing due to software and drivers not running the hardware for what it was made for.

You can buy proper cards for audio recording and processing but they are few 100 bucks and iirc only work on older OS.

I'd rather stick to pure hardware based filtering than using a loptop, At least I know it will work.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

and some laptops only have a headphone plug :?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I just downloaded what I read as one of the best open source EQs and I couldn't work it out. I had everything you could poke a stick at but no obvious EQ lol

EDIT.

Just read for this software i actually need a physical EQ plugged up to the soundcard to do the blah blah. audiophile gibberish I dont understand.

Well thats totally useless :roll:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

thought I post up some vids from youtube on what knock sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTWHJADFe8
The1

Post by The1 »

and not much longer and would have also seen what it looks like