Ulimate 98 in a n/a ecotec V6 ?

Holden202T

Re: Ulimate 98 in a n/a ecotec V6 ?

Post by Holden202T »

"generally" retarding the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft will mean your power range will be later in the revs and advancing it will mean power range will be earlier in the revs.

weather you actually notice the difference or not will depend on the cam and the amount its retarded/advanced .... but generally if the camshaft has a lift @ tdc reading to install to then that's the go, otherwise you may as well pick a different camshaft profile .... but that said, you sometimes need to advance or retard it a few degrees to get closest to the recommended lift @ tdc specs.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

Holden202T wrote:"generally" retarding the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft will mean your power range will be later in the revs and advancing it will mean power range will be earlier in the revs.

weather you actually notice the difference or not will depend on the cam and the amount its retarded/advanced .... but generally if the camshaft has a lift @ tdc reading to install to then that's the go, otherwise you may as well pick a different camshaft profile .... but that said, you sometimes need to advance or retard it a few degrees to get closest to the recommended lift @ tdc specs.
Well yes that where I found on a Super6 using the Comp cams XP-Hot cam it ended up +2 degrees advanced to get it to the dial in position of 114 degree Centre Line. If I had of set it at the Zero degree mark (dot to dot) on the Rollmaster adjustable double row timing chain set, it would have been a couple of degrees retarded.

Why I bring this up is a while ago now I was curious as to why the Super6 engines camshaft (which is the same camshaft as the n/a ecotec), was advanced on its camshaft gear. I did some testing & found the Super6's camshaft sprocket advances the camshaft position by about 5+ degrees.
Just for info the zero degree position of the adjustable Rollmaster chain sets for the V6 3800 Series II engines is the same as the dot to dot position of the n/a ecotec V6 camshaft sprocket & crankshaft sprocket.

Cheers
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

mine needed just under 5 deg advance to get 40 thou @ TDC specified on the card. But 4 deg was the closest practically.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

What's to go measuring cyl pressure? do you have to tap a new thread into the head?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Some sort of fancy spark plug I believe :)