VZ/WL Fuel guage woes - SOLVED

Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: VZ/WL Fuel guage woes

Post by Tazzi »

For the sake of a sanity check...

Can you check the BCM and PIM part numbers? When you google, do they appear as VZ?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

similar topic, does anyone know what the actual difference in the fuel senders was between s1 vy & s2/vz?

back in 2003 i put a s2 dash in my s1 vy ute and just flipped the ohm difference via the arrow software, but now that i have an e38 ecu in the car & digital dash i tried to feed the fuel sensor to the ecu and the bastard fluctuates to much & was a nightmare to ever get a consistent calibration on. so i just work off a rough km to tank usage.

was thinking of swapping the pump module out for a s2 unit and rewiring to see if it would help.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yep sure do, VZ on the left and VY on the right, ask me how I fucken know....
02FCF78C-83F5-4947-9CC4-409285AAADEF.jpeg
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

So, how do you know?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Gareth wrote:Yep sure do, VZ on the left and VY on the right, ask me how I fucken know....
02FCF78C-83F5-4947-9CC4-409285AAADEF.jpeg
... please don't tell me it was a VY sender in there... :shock:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yep, sure was! No fucking idea how or when that happen but its all back together and tested.

Thankyou to all who had input or offered help! :thumbup: This community is fantastic
Gareth

Re: VZ/WL Fuel guage woes - SOLVED

Post by Gareth »

So in conclusion - The WL statesman (VZ) was fitted with a VY fuel pump and sender.

No amount of dicking with the ohms vs display in the cluster would make sense of this which I still don't totally understand why..

In theory I should have seen results when reversing the guage reading but in this case it didn't help. The best idea as to why would be that the VY doesn't report the fuel level over the bus, where as the VZ is SENDER - PCM - PIM - BCM - IPC.
This means that the ohms that the sender puts out is converted to a message that the cluster responds to... This is confusing as several cluster tools allow the ohms - level to be adjusted....

Anyhow, in this cluster fuck of a job, I have managed to perfect my skills and knowledge of cluster programming at all levels (including customization), I have been exposed to PCM hammer and now know how to pull full bins and reflash using that great tool. (My HP cable is getting closer to the garbage bin :lol:) A thorough understanding of the difference and reasoning behind the change in design between the VY and VZ models and their fuel level sensing methods.

This was a job that other shops had looked at and failed to repair. This wasn't the lesson that I needed right now but, like usual I do my best learning under pressure :thumbup:

Thanks again to all that helped and I hope this thread saves others from the stresses of this type of problem.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

hmm. similar path i was looking at with my ute. convert it to a vz fuel sendor/pump. but the plugs are different so would need to change that too.

did someone do that on the statesman?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Not sure about utes and their plugs but my suggestion would be just to change the sender card in the pump assy. you have.
The1

Post by The1 »

Well done mate, geeze what an ordeal.

Looks like end pad to terminal is flipped on one.