Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?

antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?

Post by antus »

@dms we should move this part to another thread, one of the existing development ones but to answer the question above: usually you can analyse the DLC code that gives the data pids back to a tool or pc, see what ram that is addressing for a given pid and when you have the ram address see what code is using that ram. The better question is what are you trying to do? Porting a whole OS to another PCM may be technically possible in theory but it'd be a huge and impractical job, difficult to test and validate and especially parts of the code that run anything custom in the proprietary silicon there that we don't know about. You could do the watchdogs and DLC easily enough, but then what? Applying the same patch to different OS based on patterns might be a better approach if that was the aim, or just modifying the most capable OS (like BoostOS viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7482 ) and using only that. Better to clearly define the question before coming up with the answer.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Post by DethRattles »

Here's the bin...been busy trying to get tech2win working again on the nano, now i'm trying tis2000 on winxp virtual machine. More problems. Normal temps to kick the rad fans on is high on these cars. Last time i hooked up the obx i had an error code for the fans. C0408 i think. They turn on but at about 225 - 230f The bin has them much lower.
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Some bins have a setting, fan control=serial data, meaning an external module is commanding fans off/on.
Could that be your case.
zack4200
cars: 1982 Chevy Chevette 3400 LA1 swapped
1986 Chevy Chevette
1998 Chevy s10

Post by zack4200 »

Here is GM's description of the cooling fan control for the 04 Grand Am, maybe it can help with troubleshooting.

Code: Select all

Document ID# 862527 
2004 Pontiac Grand Am     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cooling System Description and Operation
Cooling Fan Control
The engine cooling fan system consists of two electrical cooling fans and three fan relays. The relays are arranged in a series/parallel configuration that allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to operate both fans together at low or high speeds. The cooling fans and fan relays receive battery positive voltage from the underhood junction block. The ground path is provided at G103.

During low speed operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the low speed fan relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan 1 relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and supplies battery positive voltage from the cool fan 1 fuse through the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the left cooling fan. The ground path for the left cooling fan is through the cooling fan Mode relay and the right cooling fan. The result is a series circuit with both fans running at low speed.

During high speed operation the PCM supplies the ground path for the cooling fan 1 relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. After a 3 second delay, the PCM supplies a ground path for the cooling fan 2 relay and the cooling fan Mode relay through the high speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan Mode relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and provides a ground path for the left cooling fan. At the same time the cooling fan 2 relay coil is energized closing the relay contacts and provides battery positive voltage from the cool fan 2 fuse on the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the right cooling fan. During high speed fan operation, both engine cooling fans have there own ground path. The result is a parallel circuit with both fans running at high speed.

The PCM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F). 
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kPa (190 psi). 
The vehicle is shut off when the engine coolant temperature is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay ON for approximately 3 minutes. 

The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature reaches 110°C (230°F). 
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1655 kPa (240 psi). 
When certain DTCs set. 

DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

zack4200 wrote:Here is GM's description of the cooling fan control for the 04 Grand Am, maybe it can help with troubleshooting.

Code: Select all

Document ID# 862527 
2004 Pontiac Grand Am     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cooling System Description and Operation
Cooling Fan Control
The engine cooling fan system consists of two electrical cooling fans and three fan relays. The relays are arranged in a series/parallel configuration that allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to operate both fans together at low or high speeds. The cooling fans and fan relays receive battery positive voltage from the underhood junction block. The ground path is provided at G103.

During low speed operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the low speed fan relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan 1 relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and supplies battery positive voltage from the cool fan 1 fuse through the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the left cooling fan. The ground path for the left cooling fan is through the cooling fan Mode relay and the right cooling fan. The result is a series circuit with both fans running at low speed.

During high speed operation the PCM supplies the ground path for the cooling fan 1 relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. After a 3 second delay, the PCM supplies a ground path for the cooling fan 2 relay and the cooling fan Mode relay through the high speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan Mode relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and provides a ground path for the left cooling fan. At the same time the cooling fan 2 relay coil is energized closing the relay contacts and provides battery positive voltage from the cool fan 2 fuse on the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the right cooling fan. During high speed fan operation, both engine cooling fans have there own ground path. The result is a parallel circuit with both fans running at high speed.

The PCM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F). 
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kPa (190 psi). 
The vehicle is shut off when the engine coolant temperature is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay ON for approximately 3 minutes. 

The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature reaches 110°C (230°F). 
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1655 kPa (240 psi). 
When certain DTCs set. 

Thanks Zach ..may i ask where you found that?, i've learned all of that besides the refrigerant pressure. They turn on at 223f but in the bin i have the set much lower. and kuro there was nothing i'd seen in the bin like that.
zack4200
cars: 1982 Chevy Chevette 3400 LA1 swapped
1986 Chevy Chevette
1998 Chevy s10

Post by zack4200 »

GM's ESI (electronic service info I think?), I have an XP vm with it installed that I found online years ago. I'm not sure if it's allowed to share it on here though.

The legit way to get access is through https://www.gmparts.com/technical-resou ... ir-manuals
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Class 2 Fan Enable@0007447C

set in the bin you posted.

It is available in tinytuner database. Not sure you can`t see it.
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

kur4o wrote:Class 2 Fan Enable@0007447C

Its checked off in tiny tuner, i thought that was supposed to be checked but i'll uncheck it and then try. i will goto your address and see what i can do. I'm not understanding why the enable will affect everything.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

zack4200 wrote:I'm not sure if it's allowed to share it on here though.
Correct, not on here, thanks. I don't want any trouble.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

DethRattles wrote:
kur4o wrote:Class 2 Fan Enable@0007447C

Its checked off in tiny tuner, i thought that was supposed to be checked but i'll uncheck it and then try. i will goto your address and see what i can do. I'm not understanding why the enable will affect everything.

In tinytuner program it is set as 1 in Universal patcher it is checked. In boolean terms 1=on 0=off
In the bin you have that means class2 fan enable is ON, and pcm controls fans by messages on class2 bus.