Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?

DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Re: Is my vats turned off in universal patcher?

Post by DethRattles »

kur4o wrote:
DethRattles wrote:
kur4o wrote:Class 2 Fan Enable@0007447C

set in the bin you posted.

It is available in tinytuner database. Not sure you can`t see it.
Its checked off in tiny tuner, i thought that was supposed to be checked but i'll uncheck it and then try. i will goto your address and see what i can do. I'm not understanding why the enable will affect everything.

In tinytuner program it is set as 1 in Universal patcher it is checked. In boolean terms 1=on 0=off
In the bin you have that means class2 fan enable is ON, and pcm controls fans by messages on class2 bus.
This Class 2 fan enable does what exactly? I found on hptuners this guy saying the following:"Enable", if I remember correctly, allows for the Climate Control in the car to control the fans. "Disabled" means the PCM controls the fans.

So keep it stock, keeping it as it is won't fix why my fans isnt coming on at 199.976, but 223f https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.p ... le-Disable this is all i could find.
Screenshot (1).png
thats stock
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

zack4200 wrote:GM's ESI (electronic service info I think?), I have an XP vm with it installed that I found online years ago. I'm not sure if it's allowed to share it on here though.

The legit way to get access is through https://www.gmparts.com/technical-resou ... ir-manuals
I opened my gm 09 iso service manual in vm workstation and installed it. problem is when i click on the icon the file was a virtual machine. I got vmware player to open the file but immediately received a warning saying running vm player in virtual machine require the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a vmware esx guest operating system. You many not power on until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured.

I remember using it on windows 2000 and never received that error. Aanyone know what to do?
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

You have fan_serial_control enabled =Defines if the fans are controlled via Class 2 serial data.

You want to go deeper and explore the logic behind, Make a disassembly of the bin you have with ghidra and trace the function that is skipped by the serial setting. That is the only viable way to find out how exactly fans are controlled by pcm.
Last edited by kur4o on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

"Class 2" means the VPW data connection. It means it'll command another module, probably the BCM, to turn the fan on. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics "SAE standards documents on OBD-II": Item: J1850 – Defines a serial data protocol. There are 2 variants: 10.4 kbit/s (single wire, VPW) and 41.6 kbit/s (2 wire, PWM). Mainly used by US manufacturers, also known as PCI (Chrysler, 10.4K), Class 2 (GM, 10.4K), and SCP (Ford, 41.6K)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

kur4o wrote:You have fan_serial_control enabled =Defines if the fans are controlled via Class 2 serial data.

You want to go deeper and explore the logic behind, Make a disassembly of the bin you have with ghidra and trace the function that is skipped by the serial setting. That is the only viable way to find out how exactly fans are controlled by pcm.
Doesnt ghidra take years of experience to learn?
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

zack4200 wrote:GM's ESI (electronic service info I think?), I have an XP vm with it installed that I found online years ago. I'm not sure if it's allowed to share it on here though.

The legit way to get access is through https://www.gmparts.com/technical-resou ... ir-manuals
IF that is what I THINK you are talking about, the "unzipped" archive is 9+GB!

If so, I found a copy as well - awesome tool.

Mike
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

MudDuck514 wrote:

IF that is what I THINK you are talking about, the "unzipped" archive is 9+GB!

If so, I found a copy as well - awesome tool.

Mike
It's pretty nice, you can search for it online and find it easily, just need a torrent program.
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Post by DWS »

antus wrote:@dms we should move this part to another thread, one of the existing development ones but to answer the question above: usually you can analyse the DLC code that gives the data pids back to a tool or pc, see what ram that is addressing for a given pid and when you have the ram address see what code is using that ram. The better question is what are you trying to do? Porting a whole OS to another PCM may be technically possible in theory but it'd be a huge and impractical job, difficult to test and validate and especially parts of the code that run anything custom in the proprietary silicon there that we don't know about. You could do the watchdogs and DLC easily enough, but then what? Applying the same patch to different OS based on patterns might be a better approach if that was the aim, or just modifying the most capable OS (like BoostOS viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7482 ) and using only that. Better to clearly define the question before coming up with the answer.
I'm basically still in the doing stuff to learn it phase so there's not a huge focus on anything directly. You make some good points about the DLC codes and the scan tool side of things. I've never poked around that code, so that will be new area for me to explore lol.

As far as goals, some of the P04 bins sound to be known less than others, so being able to use the way the hardware is read and making a logic path back to different settings might be a reasonable way to make more of a universal detection for a given setting. Doing it based on the actual function's code probably would be better though since I would think GM would reuse at least some code across computer models. I guess it's just a concept I had that could be interesting to explore at some point. Sounds like efforts into the P04 side of things are getting pretty far though so I might have to switch focus to another model that's less worked out. Maybe P11 would be a good one, or the computer I got with the 2005 3500 engine (E something I think?).

For actual goals of my business #1 is being able to disable immo/pats/passkey etc, and secondary is disabling "extra" features that are normally required stock, for the P04 example, it's possible to change the tune so the MAF isn't needed and the engine runs on only the MAP sensor, one less sensor to cause problems in a demo derby. Eventually I'm planning to build a shop and ideally get a dyno to actually tune computers focused on the demo derby logic. Of course never really tuned an engine this way before, I do fine with carb's, but I EFI side of things will bit a bit of a learning curve even though I get the basics well enough and I know the actual signals and such pretty well.
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

What you describe sounds like universal patcher (screen shot a couple of post above). Maybe you should get on board with that, and look to extend it. In particular we seem to have P08 reading working now, but we know very little about the bin files that are coming out. Universal Patcher cant even check the P08 OS checksum, or locate any of the initial tables we can on other PCMs. https://universalpatcher.net/about/ https://github.com/joukoy/UniversalPatcher

Its very good at P04 though, run it on some P04 files and look at the debug tab and you can see what its doing.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

Screenshot (2).png
For the dude wanting me to get ghidra and figure it out....I can't even install the damn program. Java won't install and i tried their work around with no avail. Java doesn't even know the root cause and their working on a fix. I was excited to try and figure things out too.