Mint VP V6 Sedan soon to be boosted!

Post any other rides you have here
Holden202T

Re: Mint VP V6 Sedan soon to be boosted!

Post by Holden202T »

Yeah wouldn't be hard to get it up near 12.5 or so to make the most of e85!!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

thinking more like 14+

hear some engine builders in the states are running close to 20:1 in NA.

around 14 its fairly common for e85 without going extreme on the engine build.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

vlad01 wrote:hear some engine builders in the states are running close to 20:1 in NA.
:shock:
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

geez, that's pretty high, I hope E85 is as good as people say it is then, cause that there is methanol territory!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The resistance to detonation is pretty much the same as methanol from what I have read.

One site called "race on e85" has some great info, they state the limits are said to be around 16:1 but haven't tested it themselves to see if its true or not, but their engines are running 14.5:1 no probs at all.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I've been a bit slack on this one with updates .... its been slow but lots has happened.

so the motor was finished and got installed last weekend, 3500-4000rpm dominator converter has also gone in there, and the methanol capable fuel system is almost finished!

so in an attempt to get a oil catch can working better, we found the location on the right (normally the breather to the TB) is too close to the oil in the heads, so we have blocked that off and added a fitting in the highest point in the centre of the manifold, so hopefully very little oil around it.
you can also see there are some extra vacuum ports added to the top of the manifold, just to make sure everything is seeing the same boost readings.
WP_20150906_11_44_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20150906_11_44_33_Pro.jpg (321.15 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
looks pretty stock :) forged pistons, ported heads, mls gaskets, and mild cam hidden away inside :)
WP_20150906_14_36_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20150906_14_36_27_Pro.jpg (310.2 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
fuel system getting there, twin bosch 044's will be running one normally and second one activated on boost only, theres also an adjustable rising rate reg in the engine bay.
-8 line feeds the rail which has had speedflow weld on fittings added!
V__8D5B.jpg
V__8D5B.jpg (110.57 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
so all going well we might see a fire up this Friday evening! then once everything is sorted out and working properly we are hoping to hit the rollers for some tuning before it goes back to the track!

needless to say, after multiple thousands of dollars put into everything we are all very keen to see how it goes, the brother in particular :)

hes also been busy striping some of the not needed interior out of it, old fuel tank and such, so it will be a big change next time he drives it!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Looking good.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Thursday saw the last piece of the puzzle sorted out, some nice speedflow weld on fittings :)
V__265D(1).jpg
V__265D(1).jpg (192.61 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
so with that sorted and all the last bits put on (and me wiring in all the fuel pumps Friday arvo) we got to fire it up :punk:

didn't get to the point of a drive, but certainly got it run up to temp and checked fuel system and engine etc for leaks and we got the converter to stall to almost 3500rpm without the wheels turning, so Im fairly confident theres going to be much :driving:

unfortunately the next race meeting is 31st oct/1st nov so we'll have to wait till next year before it will be raced, but we're planning to get it all finished and tested on the dyno in that time, so at least no rushing!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

so its back in business :) albeit with a very rich methanol tune hehe!

we've gone to 7psi wastegate spring, mainly because we are not actually sure how much boost the injectors can handle with the flow requirements of methanol.

either way the tune goes to 4.5 on the wideband as the second pump cuts in at 105kpa! so everything's working!

theres a few speedflow fittings to sort out that are the wrong angles etc but we made them work for a test run lol!

you can see in the video my brother actually thought it was doing something wrong, when the wastegate opens it blows the leaves infront of the car and the sound gets noticeably louder, the logs show about 40-50% throttle and 140-150kpa so should be plenty more left in it with 10-15psi :twisted:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCxGh2ktpPs[/youtube]

after the last few bits are sorted, like the fuel fittings and tidying up some boot wiring, we'll be trying to arrange a dyno session for it.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

we got her on the dyno today, didn't do a lot of tuning as the cost was $250 per hour!!

but we mainly wanted to get a run up and make sure it wasn't lean or anything and then go from there. We did make some minor changes to fuel and spark, its way rich below 3000rpm, and then was just slightly on the lean side in the top end. it was missing a bit and the dyno guy reckons we probably need to slow the plug gaps and add some timing over 4000rpm.

Its pretty much on the limit of the 80lb injectors, 12-13psi and methanol, but its safe and all worked as we hoped, made a best of 353hp at wheels!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3qnRisnMK0[/youtube]

hoping for some better results next time at the strip now!