The wifes car

Post any other rides you have here
IvanTheTerrible
cars: Many and varied!

Re: The wifes car

Post by IvanTheTerrible »

What we are trying to do is get the car to squat. Currently the car launched flat so we put 90/10 inserts in the front and 3 way ajustables in the back. The idea is to have the front rise and the rear squat quickly to transfer weight to the rear, thus aiding traction. I was all for putting coilovers on but the supplier told me I'd be wasting my money. And they have a 9 second XD running factory suspension.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

we just run a super low ride height on dobi springs with random old shocks that keep them captive never had a traction issue but lost a little bit of traction running a higher profile front tyre than normal that changed weight on the rear and lower bar angle on the diff from the raised ride height in the front.
our ride height

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJA0UkQNKK4[/youtube]
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

isn't it funny, I've been trying to stop my car from squatting so much lol!

mine basically has commodore control arms and spring/shocks now, it still squats a bit and I believe that is due to the springs not being quite hard enough for my needs, but I haven't had any traction issues.

from what I've read about drag cars though you pretty much want it to launch flat ?

I guess it depends on the suspension setup too ... what sort of power is it making and what converter/diff/trans ?
IvanTheTerrible

The flatter you launch the better. Thats great if you aren't limited by tyre size. All cars have to transfer weight to the rear but that wastes horsepower so the little you have to transfer the better. On well prepped tracks we have no issue but at tracks were the prep is less than great or nonexistent we have issues getting the car off the line.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

As Holden202T mentioned, you don't want the car to squat in the rear, you actually want it to stand up in the rear, but also have the front lift to throw the weight to the rear. Squat unloads the tyres & allows wheel spin.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
IvanTheTerrible

And to hard and you hit the tyres to hard and they'll unload. Bloody fine balancing act.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

squat then raise or either side of neither is the goods but it takes a lot of good rear shock in the end to control it so when it starts to push up it doesnt keep lifting to fast and get loose at speed. a lot of cars can either launch good or get mid track grip its getting the balance right.you see a lot of cars nail the launch get 20 feet then blaze the tyres from suspension unloading and see an awefull lot doing it at 1/2 track and hitting walls.theres a few good chassis programs out that will help you determining what holes for bars need moved where you may be able to build or buy a bolt in solution.i know in the states they sell upper control arm body relocation kits for g-bodies and shit they work real well a lot of gn buick guys run them and can wheelstand all the 60 foot they hav that much traction LOL.my own car in the build was all mapped out on paper before anything for the rear suspension got welded in.theres other tricks you can do with bar angles you can run either side front control arm mounting points at 2 different heights and cancel all the twist on the chassis :D
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem