1976 Toyota Dyna

Post any other rides you have here
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

1976 Toyota Dyna

Post by oldn64 »

Hello Guys,

I am not sure where to post this so thought it might be here as a great idea.

I have myself a 1978 Toyota Dyna bananaback tow truck :D. I purchased this cheap for my insanity (i mean err hobby). Dont have photos currently will grab them later. Anyway as with most of these trucks the H series diesel is long gone and there currently is a 179 the add stated (read 202 as it is clear as clear can be when under the truck) in its place. The truck is 3 ton and has a gvm of 6.5. the big issue is that the rear end is 6.15:1 and thus at 80km/h the poor old 202 is doing 3500 and 4000@100. it is just too much for it.

So I have a few plans for it at this stage.

1. either find a toyota coaster rear in 4.8:1 ratio or do a conversion to use either a series 80 4.5:1 centre or a frud 9" 4.5:1 ratio in the diff. (this should drop revs to 3200 at 110.
2. remove the tired 202 (as much as I love these) and place in it instead a VY ecotec v6.
3. 5 speed column shift out of a coaster or dyna truck from teh next model up.

now here is the interesting issue.

1. both front indicators are broken (pieces missing) I cannot find replacements anywhere so expect I will be changing the original indicators lenses for something else. (or if anyone know where a 70's dyna is that I can either grab the indicators from or even just mold what is there to make new ones I would be over the moon....if it is mold and cast then the person allowing the molding will get a set of new lenses as well.... ;))
2. Speedo only goes to 120, is analogue and is hard to read. The odo has only gone to 89,000ish so the truck has hardly done any work (I know the previous own who is the owner from new, so I know it has not gone around the dial hehe) but this is my predicament. I would like to remodel the dash cluster to accommodate the commodore one. However, to keep the old world style I will need to cut up the dash cluster to be able to use it. But I like the speedo and tacho from a VE but the fuel and temp from a VY (not to mention the LCD display as well)... so I am not sure how exactly I can get all the pieces to fit together.

I am confident that the VE dash will not talk on any bus that the VY systems have. I dont even know whether the VE tacho and speedo will interface with the VY dash circuit board. I know this is left field but does anyone know?

for ease I think the VY systems and wiring loom with the VY engine would be the simplest. Only reason for the VY it the bigger valves etc and thus if I turbo it later this would work to my advantage.

cheers
oldn64
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: 1976 Toyota Dyna

Post by antus »

i would stongly suggest not trying to mix parts from different generation cars. That will get painful if not impossible quickly. If your happy with an eco tec then get everything from a donor vy and drop that in. The enhanced vy code is well defined and you'll be able to use that to configure anything you'll need to change on the pcm. it'll also talk over ALDL to the dash. The dash will error out from things like air bags, but there are tools around which will allow you to reconfigure the dash to suit the install.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I'd hate to see the speed it would have done with that diff ratio and the old diesel revving it's nuts off at 3000rpm. 70k max.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

antus wrote:i would stongly suggest not trying to mix parts from different generation cars.
I was afraid that this would have been the response :( oh well, guess I will need to look into what dash I reall do want and how to make it would within the oldschool cluster view. hmm think wrecker run is in need to start a hack up......
Charlescrown wrote:I'd hate to see the speed it would have done with that diff ratio and the old diesel revving it's nuts off at 3000rpm. 70k max.
yes i am not sure i would have wanted to drive this generation with the diesel. 4 cylidner not efficent under seat without much insulation....would have been an interesting purchase, but there were a number of these on the road adn alot of road work places used them....I know essendon airport have one for the runway tasks, it looks brand new...hmmm i still have access to the field I might go see them and ask about there indicators.... :thumbup:

Cheers guys
oldn64
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

reminds me of my Bedford, 173 motor with trimatic and 4.7 I think the diff was, it was doing 4000rpm at 90kms, that was max it would do lol!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I was looking at converting an 83 Dyna to run a V6 as a car transporter. I found that i couldn't get the diff ratio right using the Toyota diff, needed to change to an F250 diff, which still gave it weight carrying capacity.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Holden202T wrote:reminds me of my Bedford, 173 motor with trimatic and 4.7 I think the diff was, it was doing 4000rpm at 90kms, that was max it would do lol!
hahaha, so long story short I had one of these. was a long wheel base 253 powered bananaback which I did a bucket load of work on. finally got everything the way I wanted it and sprayed the truck. Mate does airbrushing so I drove the truck to him and got him to do mural and other stuff on it. looked mint as. that night the factory where it was was broken into and the cab set alight. bent every panel on the thing. I had a special overdive built to reduce the revs so that it drove nicely.

Since then I bought a replacement with the view of replacing the cab, but it became too hard as there is over 3000 spot welds holding the cab to the frame and the rust repair on the cab (while good in this department) would mean roof would need to come off and at least three other panels. I am just not sure i can be bothered. At least the Dyna just needs a few cosmetic things and a paint.
v6bucket wrote:I was looking at converting an 83 Dyna to run a V6 as a car transporter. I found that i couldn't get the diff ratio right using the Toyota diff, needed to change to an F250 diff, which still gave it weight carrying capacity.
Yes this can be done BUT the stud pattern changes and then the whole mismatch wheel thing gets a pain. I dont want to go down this road again. The two common conversions I have seen and heard of is putting a series 80 Landcruiser centre into the dyna housing or using the ford 9 inch pumkin into the dyna housing. The landcruiser I know little about as I am not sure what axles they use or even if the are the same splines as the original dyna diff(need to pull it down and look, I can get a whole 80 series rear end for $80) the Ford conversion I know a little more about. This was done in Sydney often for the coasters, there are two way of doing this, an adaptor plate to bolt to the dyna housing which then mounts the ford pumkin to, or welding the housing to the ford pattern and mounting in. The axles are commodore with the studs cut off and the flange turned down, with the original Dyna hub pattern drilled to use the original outboard hardware. I am leaning a little towards this way at present BUT I have to pull the whole rearend down to investigate further, and the cost of 9 inch rears is huge. particularly seeing the ratio I am looking for is one the some drag racers would love. I have worked out that either a 4.8:1 or a 4.5:1 would be perfect for what I need. If I then put the early 80's 5 speed in this would sit the revs at 2900 roughly at 110 in overdrive.

Truck is already on gas so the v6 woudl end up on gas too. just I feel the v6 would be a better motor than the poor old 202 (i have nothing against these motor but pulling 4+ tonne was not the plan from the little beastie of a motor...)

cheers
oldn64
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

theres no doubt a V6 is going to slam a 202 in a heavy car, they are a good combo.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Holden202T wrote:theres no doubt a V6 is going to slam a 202 in a heavy car, they are a good combo.
That would have been a hard tablet to swallow Holden202T, I mean i am a huge fan of the red and blue series holden 6's I am just realistic that the newer engine combined with a v configuration would be a better approach. Not to mention that the v6 had similar torque and power as the old red v8's.

give me 186T anyday for my EH hehe.

cheers
oldn64
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They certainly are good engines, and very easy to pep them up more with simple mods and proper tuning.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.